Washington Division of URS Corporation
(signed December 12, 2002; renewed December 19, 2003; renewed February 1, 2006; renewed January 30, 2008; concluded January 24, 2012)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and the Washington Division of URS Corporation will focus on using their collective expertise to help advance a culture of accident prevention while sharing information, guidance, best practices, access to training resources and technical knowledge that will help protect employees' safety and health. In particular, the Alliance will address, but is not limited to, the areas of cranes and rigging, hearing protection and ergonomics within the engineering and construction industry. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and Education
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop training and education programs on specific construction industry safety and health issues and provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
Outreach and Communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and the Washington Division of URS Corporation's Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Promote and encourage the Washington Division of URS Corporation to participate in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, On-site Consultation and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on engineering and construction industry issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
- Agreement signed December 12, 2002.
- Renewal Agreement signed December 19, 2003.
- Renewal Agreement signed February 1, 2006.
- Renewal Agreement signed January 30, 2008.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2002-2003, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2003-2004, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA Renews its Alliance with the Washington Division of URS Corporation. OSHA News Release, (2008, February 8).
- U.S. Labor Department's OSHA Launches Youth Job Safety Campaign. OSHA News Release, (2007, April 17).
- OSHA Publishes Waste Treatment Facility 'Design for Safety' Case Study. OSHA News Release, (2007, April 2).
- OSHA, Washington Group International Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2006, February 1).
- OSHA, Washington Group International Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2003, December 30).
- OSHA, Washington Group International Form Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2002, December 12).
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Crane, Derrick, and Hoist Safety
- Fall Protection
- Silica, Crystalline
- Toxic Metals
- Trenching and Excavation
- Workplace Violence
- "Washington Group International Designs and Builds a Mixed-Waste Treatment Facility." OSHA, (2007, February). Describes how the Washington Group International, Inc. (now known as the Washington Division of URS Corporation) incorporated its design for safety process into the construction of the U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Mixed Waste Treatment Facility in eastern Idaho.
- Alliance Program Construction Roundtable. Through the Alliance Program's Construction Roundtable, a number of products and resources have been developed for the construction industry.
- Preventing Falls in Construction. Provides links to OSHA tools and resources to help prevent construction-related falls.
- Regional Showcase: Region X Boise, Idaho, Area Office Co-Sponsors Safety Fest of the Great Northwest. (2006, July; updated 2009, March).