Through the Alliance, OSHA and ISEA will provide ISEA members and the public with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Specifically, the Alliance will continue to address best practices in industry sectors that use personal protective and other safety equipment. Alliance goals include:
Raising Awareness: Outreach and Communication
- Share information about OSHA’s priority goals, national initiatives (Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, Outreach), compliance assistance products, and opportunities to participate in initiatives and the rulemaking process, including those relevant to ISEA and the use of appropriate safety equipment.
- Share information about occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- Encourage worker participation in workplace safety and health by engaging LIUNA representatives as active participants in the Implementation Team and in all projects, as well as working with them to disseminate information to their memberships.
- Develop information on the use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and communicate such information (e.g., print, electronic (newsletters, emails)) and social media (blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc., utilizing OSHA campaign #hashtags), electronic assistance tools, OSHA and ISEA websites, and scheduled calls/meetings) to employers and workers who use PPE in their workplaces.
- Educate the broader safety equipment industry about OSHA’s initiatives, campaigns, and resources that promote a safe working environment.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA, ISEA or industry conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- Encourage ISEA membership and their downstream user networks to build relationships with OSHA’s Regional and Area Offices to address health and safety issues relevant to the safety equipment industry.
Training and Education
- Work with safety equipment professionals, LIUNA, and other worker representatives, to develop content, workshops, and other training resources on proper selection, use, maintenance, and storage of personal protective equipment and personal safety equipment, such as creating an infographic on the differences between leading-edge self-retracting lanyards (SRL) and non-leading-edge SRLs.
- Share information with industry safety and health professionals regarding developments in national consensus standards for personal protective equipment and personal safety equipment, such as ANSI/ISEA 107-2020 ed. High-Visibility Safety Apparel standard, and other best practices in fall protection use.