|<< Back to Tree Care Industry Association
OSHA and the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) Alliance
On February 11, 2003, OSHA and the Tree Care Industry Association (formerly the National Arborists
Association), formed an Alliance addressing hazards facing the tree care industry, focusing
primarily on the prevention of falls and struck-by incidents, and electrical hazards during
Based on discussions with OSHA regarding the future of the Alliance, TCIA informed the Agency that
it identified new safety and health hazards that it would like to focus on through an Alliance
agreement. As a result, OSHA and TCIA mutually agreed to conclude the Alliance retroactively as of
February 11, 2005.
However, the following successes resulted from the OSHA and TCIA Alliance:
- During the 14th Annual TCI EXPO 2003, November 13-15, 2003, Baltimore Convention Center,
Baltimore, Maryland, OSHA exhibited and distributed copies of OSHA's CD for General Industry and
publications that address hazards in the workplace to more than 100 people.
- TCIA exhibited at the OSHA Second Annual Compliance Assistance Conference, June 9-13, 2003,
Vienna, Virginia, and provided the OSHA attendees with information about the tree care industry and
the issues and hazards that the industry is addressing.
- TCIA shared its exhibit booth with OSHA staff during at the TCI EXPO 2004, October 28-30, 2004,
COBO Conference and Exhibition Center, Detroit, Michigan. OSHA distributed a CD, Listening to Small
Business, and other OSHA publications that address workplace safety and hazards.
- On March 11, 2005, Paula White, Director, Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs,
USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation on the Alliance Program and OSHA's compliance assistance efforts
during TCIA's Spring EXPO 2005 at the Long Beach Convention Center, Long Beach, California.
- Through the OSHA and TCIA Alliance, the association provided expertise and information during the
development of OSHA's Tree Care Industry Safety and Health Topics Page.
Report prepared by: Rick Harris, Alliance Coordinator, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances,
December 1, 2005