AGREEMENT ESTABLISHING AN ALLIANCE
SIOUX FALLS AREA OFFICE OF
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
A MARSH & McLENNAN AGENCY
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Sioux Falls Area Offices (OSHA) and Howalt+McDowell Insurance recognize the value of establishing an alliance and collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. OSHA and Howalt+McDowell Insurance hereby form an Alliance to share information with employers and employees regarding how to develop a culture of safety and build safer workplaces. Participants in this Alliance will summarize specific activities and timeframes for completion in a written work plan.
This Alliance will enhance employee health and safety throughout various industry sectors in South Dakota and will provide OSHA staff the opportunity to present key information to stakeholders throughout South Dakota. OSHA and Howalt+McDowell Insurance will focus on safety and health issues including trenching, falls in construction, employee safety training and hazard identification techniques, programs and methods.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following goals related to raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives:
- To share information on OSHA's National/Regional/Local Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, and occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- To convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on OSHA strategic focus hazards including falls and excavations.
Training and Education
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following training and education objectives:
- To work collaboratively on the delivery of workshops on pertinent hazards.
- To share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding best practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, and written materials on agreed upon topics with regard to workplace safety and health.
Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following outreach and communication objectives:
- To work together to develop a venue and presentation to appropriately recognize Worker Memorial Day.
OSHA's Alliance will provide parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives. These Alliances have proved to be valuable tools for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a party, OSHA is not endorsing any of that party's products or services.
Representatives of both organizations will meet to develop a work plan, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet at least two times per year to track progress and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance.
This Alliance will remain in effect for a two year period. Any signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided it gives 30-days written notice. This alliance may be modified at any time with the concurrence of all signatories. This instrument is neither a fiscal nor a funds obligation document. Any endeavor or transfer or anything of value involving reimbursement or contribution of funds between the parties to this will be handled in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and procedures.
Signed this 16th day of February, 2018.
- Sheila Stanley
- Area Director
- Sioux Falls Area Office, OSHA
- Kira Kimball
- Director of Employer Services
- Howalt+McDowell Insurance