U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Fort Lauderdale Area Office
1000 South Pine Island Road, Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33324
(954) 424-0242; Fax (954) 424-3073
SAFETY ALLIANCE FOR EXCELLENCE (SAFE)
April 30, 2014
March 8, 2013
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Fort Lauderdale Area Office and the Safety Alliance for Excellence (SAFE) agreed to establish an Alliance to provide SAFE members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, by reducing and preventing exposures in the construction industry related to the four leading causes of fatalities; Falls, Electrical, Struck-By and Caught-In-Between. The Alliance is also focused on promoting worker's understanding of their workplace rights and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
The implementation team consists of representatives from the OSHA Area Office in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and the Safety Alliance for Excellence (SAFE).
March 8, 2013 through March 8, 2014
Implementation Team Meetings
Meetings were conducted by the group during the organization's monthly meeting on the first Wednesday of every month.
Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- During this period, the SAFE Alliance group coordinated the following safety and health training courses and presentations for the Alliance members, as well as others:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) a
- First aid
- New technologies for fall prevention
Outreach and Communication
- During this period, the Alliance group contributed to the overall success of the OSHA Region IV Heat Illness and Falls Prevention Safety Stand-downs. These events were conducted in June 2013 and August 2013, respectively. The SAFE Alliance group managed the registration site in the State of Florida. There were over 60,100 employees reached during the Heat Illness Prevention stand-down and over 18,800 impacted by the Falls Prevention stand-down.
- During this period, the Alliance group assisted in the distribution of a wide range of safety and health outreach materials including the following:
- OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Campaign material
- OSHA Falls Prevention material
- OSHA Region IV Fall Hazard CD
- OSHA Region IV Struck-by Hazard CD
- Refer to the information provided above
- Upcoming Milestones
- The Alliance group will continue to promote OSHA's Heat Illness and Falls Prevention campaigns throughout South Florida.
- The Alliance group will continue to provide effective safety and health training for construction workers focused on the following hazards: Falls; Electrical; Struck-By; and Caught-In-Between.
Report Prepared by: Vergie Y. Bain, Compliance Assistance SpecialistBack to Top