|<< Back to Region IV
I. Alliance Background:
August 18, 2005
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the National Safety Council (NSC),
Broward County, Dade County, Palm Beach County, Southwest Chapters agreed to establish an Alliance
to reduce and prevent employee exposure to workplace hazards in the construction and general
industries, by developing effective safety and health tools (i.e., Safety and Health Management
Systems, Fleet Safety Programs, Warehousing Safety, as well as First Aid, cardiopulmonary
resuscitation (CPR) and automated external defibrillator (AED) Programs).
II. Implementation Team Members
The Fort Lauderdale OSHA Area Office and the National Safety Council, South Florida Chapter.
August 18, 2006 – August 18, 2007
Implementation Team Meetings
Representatives from OSHA and the NSC participated in the following Alliance meeting: October 30,
2007; March 28, 2007; April 25, 2007; and May 11, 2007
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
- During this period the NSC created the Forklift Training Institute,
with the primary goal to implement standards of training/education regarding OSHA's Powered Industrial
Truck standard. Both classroom and practical (on the equipment) are elements of the program.
- During this period the group conducted a total of 67 classes addressing occupational safety and
health issues. These classes included the following - forklift operator training, MOT training at
different levels, CPR and First Aid, Confined Spaces, Recordkeeping, and OSHA OTI classes
- On April 25, 2007, a training course was conducted by the group entitled “Fundamentals of
- The NSC provided 20 employers in the South Florida area with training on the OSHA Construction
- The NSC provided 11 employers in the South Florida area with training on Emergency Planning.
- During this period the NSC has continued to expand its safety and health course offerings for
the Hispanic Community. The safety and health course conducted in Spanish by the NSC now include:
- OSHA Outreach 10 & 30 hour Construction
- OSHA Outreach 10 & 30 hour General Industry
- Construction: Confined Space, Trenching/Excavation, Fall Protection, Scaffolding & Rigging
- First Aid/CPR/AED
Outreach and Communications
- During this period the group continued to distribute safety & health outreach material,
developed by OSHA Region IV. This outreach material included the Struck-By, Photo and Falls CDs.
The group also distributed the Tool Box Review Booklet in both paper and electronic form.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- On May 11, 2007, the NSC conducted a meeting with new Area Director for the Ft. Lauderdale Area
Office, Darlene Fossum. During the meeting the group discussed ways to have an impact in the
warehousing industry, as it relates to forklift safety.
The following table list several but not all safety and health courses provided by the NSC.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and
Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
|Work Zone Safety
|First Aid/ CPR
|OSHA 30 hr.
|Fleet Safety ( Defensive Driving)
V. Upcoming Milestones
- Renew the Alliance between OSHA and the NSC.
- Continue to work together on development of a system designed to decrease the number of
Warehouse/Distribution related injuries & fatalities involving Powered Industrial Trucks.
- The Safety Council will implement new levels of vocational and professional certificated
programs, designed to provide required education/training to coincide with various stages of an
employee's level of responsibility.
- Promote the OSHA Outreach 30 Hour General Industry & Construction programs and integrate into
our NSC SFC certificated platform.
- Continue to promote effective Safety and Health Management Systems.