U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
1141 Montlimar Drive Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
OSHA, GCMSA, and ALAPTA Alliance
Annual Report - July 14, 2006
- Alliance Background:
OSHA, GCMSA, and ALAPTA Alliance to provide GCMSA and ALAPTA members and others in the maritime industry with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing ergonomic, as well as slip, trip and fall hazards
May 27, 2005.
All parties to this agreement are committed to sharing their collective expertise to help foster a culture of injury and illness prevention while sharing best practices and technical knowledge, especially in the area of slips, trips, and falls and in reducing and preventing exposure to ergonomic hazards in the maritime industry.
Implementation Team Membership:
Members consist of OSHA, Alabama Chapter of the Physical Therapy Association, Gulf Coast Maritime Safety Association.
Same as above
March 31, 2005, through July 14, 2006
- Implementation Team Meetings
May 26, 2005; August 19, 2005; and OSHA Longshoring Course supported by Alliance January 23 - 27, 2006.
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- OSHA Longshoring Course supported by Alliance January 23 - 27, 2006.
- Group developed a PowerPoint presentation on "Enclosed and Confined Spaces" in the Shipyard Industry
Outreach and Communications
- Alliance members provided training presentations at the Gulf Coast Safety and Health Expo in Mobile in March 2005.
- Group developed CD/DVD's on presentations for maritime employers in the Gulf Coast Area.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
Refer to the Training and Education events above
- Upcoming Milestones
- Develop a power point presentation on shipyard slip, trip and fall hazards, as well as repetitive motion injuries in the shipyards.
- Develop a package containing safety information for distribution to shipyard employers in the Gulf Coast area. The package will include copies of the CD/DVD on shipyards with a PowerPoint on slip, trip, fall hazards and repetitive motion injuries, as well as updated safety information from the OSHA web page.