U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Fort Lauderdale Area Office
8040 Peters Road, Suite H-100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33324
(954) 424-0242; Fax (954) 424-3073
Florida Institute of Safety and Construction at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) Annual Alliance Report
July 6, 2006
- Alliance Background:
June 20, 2005 - Renewed February 10, 2006
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Florida Institute of Safety and Construction at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) agreed to establish an Alliance to promote safe and healthful working conditions for employees in the construction industry.
Implementation Team Members
Implementation team consist of representative from the Fort Lauderdale OSHA Area Office, as well as the Florida Institute of Safety and Construction at Florida Atlantic University (FAU)
Same as aboveEvaluation Period
August 3, 2005, through July 14, 2006
- Implementation Team Meetings
- November 14, 2005, a meeting was conducted with FAU and hurricane quick cards and fact sheets were provided for distribution to students.
- January 17, 2006, a conference call was with Gene Oulette, FAU, to discuss renewing the alliance.
- February 10, 2006, the FAU Alliance was formally renewed.
- April 26, 2006, a safety committee meeting with the Construction Association of South Florida was conducted.
- Events and Products
Training and Education Events
- A class graduated from the Accredited Program for Construction Safety with a total of 40 students on March 31, 2006.
- Conducted OSHA 10-hour Construction and General Industry, Scaffolding, Steel Erection, Excavation and various other safety & health related classes
Outreach and Communication
- Assisted in the distribution of safety and health outreach material developed by OSHA such as hurricane fact sheets and quick cards
- Assisted in the distribution of safety & health outreach material developed by OSHA Region IV, such as the Struck-By, Photo and Falls CDs along with the Tool Box Review Booklet
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health Events
- FAU Alliance members supported the Construction Safety & Health Expo conducted on March 23, 2006, and sponsored by the Construction Association South Florida (CASF).
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained|
|Hurricane Fact Sheets and Quick Cards Distributed||500|
|Construction Safety & Health Expo||200|
|OSHA 10 hour construction & general industry and other safety & health courses||500|
|Accredited Program for Construction Safety||40|
- Continue to promote safety and health in the construction industry in South Florida
- Participate in several of the OSHA 10 and 30 hour construction courses
- Continue to support the upcoming safety expo sponsored by the CASF and other local construction organizations and associations.