American Red Cross
(signed May 19, 2005; renewed August 6, 2008; renewed November 9, 2015)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and the American Red Cross (Red Cross) recognize the value of maintaining a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. Both parties are committed to providing Red Cross members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help to protect the health and safety of workers, including non-English and limited English speaking employees. The Alliance's goals include:
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
- Share information on OSHA's National Emphasis programs, enforcement initiatives, Regulatory Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process.
- Disseminate information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
Outreach and Communication
- Develop training and educational materials on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA's and Red Cross's websites) to employers and workers.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or Red Cross's conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- Share information with employers and workers related to emergency preparedness, disease prevention, first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of automated external defibrillators, including annual training requirements.
- Agreement signed May 19, 2005.
- Alliance Renewal signed August 6, 2008.
- Renewal Agreement signed November 9, 2015.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2007-2008, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2008-2009, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2009-2010, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2010-2011, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2011-2012, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2012-2016, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
Alliance News Releases and QuickTakes™
- OSHA and Red Cross renew alliance to protect the safety and health of employees. OSHA QuickTakes™, (2015, November 16).
- OSHA and the American Red Cross renew alliance focused on protecting the safety and health of volunteers, employees. OSHA News Release, (2015, November 9).
- ASSE, American Red Cross Announce Free Disaster Prep/Workplace Safety Web Expo for May 6. ASSE News Release, (2009, April 24).
- OSHA Renews Alliance with American Red Cross. OSHA News Release, (2008, August 12).
- OSHA, ASSE, CSSE and Industry Groups Team Up to Increase Job Safety for North American Occupational Safety and Health Week. OSHA News Release, (2007, May 4).
- American Red Cross Joins OSHA in Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2005, May 19).
Products and Resources
Related OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Bloodborne Pathogens and Needlestick Prevention
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Medical and First Aid
- Pandemic Influenza
Related OSHA eTools
- Evacuation Plans and Procedures
- Hazard Exposure and Risk Assessment Matrix for Hurricane Response and Recovery Work
- Infectious Diseases Rulemaking. OSHA.
- Seasonal Flu. OSHA.
- American Red Cross / OSHA Alliance Page.
- Flu. Addresses pandemic flu preparedness and discusses a number of topics, including the difference between seasonal, avian and pandemic influenza, and links to how influenza is transmitted, and guidance on preventing the spread of the virus.