Airline Industry and the National Safety Council (NSC), International Air Transport Section
(signed November 12, 2002; renewed April 21, 2004; renewed May 31, 2005; renewed June 14, 2006; concluded November 12, 2006)
- Air Canada
- Airtran Airways
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- American Trans Air
- Continental Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- Jetblue Airways
- Midwest Express Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
- U.S. Airways
- National Safety Council, International Air Transport Section
Through the OSHA and Airline Industry Alliance, the organizations will use their collective expertise to help advance a culture of prevention while sharing best practices and technical knowledge, especially in the area of ergonomics and the issues related to handling passenger checked baggage. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop an industry training manual (referred to as a training module in the Alliance signed November 12, 2002), for employees on the handling of checked baggage and make it available, without charge, to the aviation industry, OSHA, and other interested parties.
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information, e.g. OSHA's Baggage Handling eTool and the Airline Industry Safety & Health Topics page
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings and hare information with interested parties on issues including ergonomics to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues, including conducting an informational seminar with and disseminating information to regulatory agencies, international organizations and other interested parties, both domestically and internationally.
- Agreement signed November 12, 2002.
- Renewal Agreement signed April 20, 2004.
- Renewal Agreement signed May 31, 2005.
- Renewal Agreement signed June 14, 2006.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2002-2003, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2003-2004, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of November 12, 2006.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA's Alliance with Airline Group Renewed. OSHA News Release, (2006, July 5).
- OSHA, Airline Group Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2005, June 6).
- OSHA, Airline Group Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2004, April 27).
- Forklift Operations by Young Workers Subject of Safety Initiative -- OSHA, Wage and Hour Division, NIOSH Join Forces to Foster Youth Safety on the Job. OSHA News Release, (2004, February 11).
- Revised eTool For Airline Baggage Handling Helps Workers Avoid Injury. OSHA News Release, (2003, September 12).
- Savings and Safety From OSHA Program. Overhaul and Maintenance Magazine Article, (2003, August 1).
- OSHA Forms Alliance with Airline Group. OSHA News Release, (2002, November 12).