Energy Recovery Council (ERC)
(Formerly the Integrated Waste Services Association) (signed October 13, 2005; renewed November 27, 2007; concluded October 13, 2009)
Through the OSHA and ERC Alliance, the organizations will work together to provide the association's members and others, including small businesses, with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety associated with the management of municipal solid waste, especially related to hauler safety. In particular, OSHA and ERC will promote the annual Hauler Safety Campaign: "Safety - Do It for Life." Further, OSHA and ERC will work together to reduce and prevent exposure to electrical hazards in waste to energy facilities. The Alliance's goals include:
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and the ERC's Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding ERC's best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by ERC and through OSHA- or ERC- developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum including outreach events).
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on waste-to-energy worker safety and health issues, waste hauler health and safety issues, and contractor health and safety issues, to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2007-2008, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA and Integrated Waste Services Association Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2007, December 3).
- OSHA and IWSA team up to support National Hauler Safety Month. OSHA News Release, (2007, June 14).
- New Alliance Will Promote Safety for Solid Waste-to-Energy Management Workers. OSHA News Release, (2005, October 13).
Products and Resources
- High Voltage (>1000 Volts) Electrical Safety and Injuries (PDF). Through the OSHA and the Energy Recovery Council (ERC) Alliance, ERC developed "High Voltage (>1000 Volts) Electrical Safety and Injuries." The fact sheet reviews how workers can protect themselves during high voltage work. (2010, February).
- Safety: Do It For Life. Through the OSHA and Energy Recovery Council (ERC) Alliance, ERC developed "Hauler Safety Campaign, Safety: Do It For Life." The annual campaign educates public and private waste haulers, municipal and private owners and operators, and facility employees about best practices on tipping floor safety. It also encourages the men and women who haul and dispose of solid waste to focus on their safety practices and their families' and friends' well-being as they do their jobs.
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
Publications and Newsletters
- IWSA Weekly Update, July 7, 2006. IWSA's July 7, 2006 edition of its weekly e-newsletter includes an article, "Consultation Helps Small Businesses Establish Safety and Health Programs" that describes the services and benefits of the Onsite Consultation Program for small businesses.
- IWSA Weekly Update, July 14, 2006. IWSA's July 14, 2006 edition of its weekly e-newsletter includes an article, "OSHA's Electronic Resources for Small Businesses" that highlights the OSHA Web site's updated advanced search function and tools that provide links to OSHA's Onsite Consultation Program, publications and compliance assistance resources.
- IWSA Weekly Update, July 21, 2006. IWSA's July 21, 2006 edition of its weekly e-newsletter includes an article, "OSHA's Standard Interpretation Letters" that describes several ways to search the OSHA Web site for Standard Interpretation Letters, which are OSHA's official responses to written questions about compliance with the agency's requirements.
- IWSA Weekly Update, July 28, 2006. IWSA's July 28, 2006 edition of its weekly e-newsletter includes an article, "A Safe Workplace is a Drug-Free Workplace" that describes several ways for small businesses to protect their companies and help reduce substance abuse in their communities by implementing workplace prevention programs that educate employees.
- IWSA Weekly Update, August 3, 2006. IWSA's August 3, 2006 edition of its weekly e-newsletter includes an article, "Hispanic Worker Outreach: OSHA Can Help!" that describes the numerous Spanish-language compliance assistance tools and resources that OSHA has developed to assist employers and workers with their Hispanic outreach activities.
- IWSA Weekly Update, August 18, 2006. IWSA's August 18, 2006 edition of its weekly e-newsletter includes an article, "Workplace Violence: Training Young Workers in Preventive Strategies," that describes how small businesses should be alert to the risk of robbery coupled with criminal assaults on their employees and have an established workplace violence prevention plan to protect their safety.
† Alliance Implementation Team members participated in the development of this resource.