International Warehouse Logistics Association (IWLA) and Warehousing Education and Research Council (WERC)
(signed February 17, 2004; renewed March 2, 2006; addendum signed March 29, 2007; concluded February 17, 2008)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and IWLA will provide the association's members and others, including owners and operators of public warehouses and other third-party warehouses, with information, guidance, and access to training resources. OSHA and IWLA will help to protect employees safety and health, including hard-to-reach and youth workers, by addressing material handling, forklift safety and Hazard Communication (HAZCOM). The Alliance goals include:
Training and education
- Work with OSHA to develop and deliver training and education programs regarding warehouse industry hazards such as material handling, forklift safety, HAZCOM and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
Outreach and communication
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding IWLA best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by IWLA and through OSHA- or IWLA developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Promote and encourage IWLA's members' or worksites' participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, Consultation and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize their results.
- Agreement signed February 17, 2004.
- Renewal Agreement signed March 2, 2006.
- Addendum Agreement signed March 29, 2007.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of February 17, 2008.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA, ASSE, CSSE and Industry Groups Team Up to Increase Job Safety for North American Occupational Safety and Health Week. OSHA News Release, (2007, May 4).
- Warehousing Education and Research Council Joins Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2007, March 30).
- OSHA and International Warehouse Logistics Association Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2006, March 2).
- Forklift Operations by Young Workers Subject of Safety Initiative. OSHA News Release, (2004, February 11).
- OSHA Aligns with International Warehouse Logistics Association. OSHA News Release, (2004, February 17).
Products and Resources
- Warehouses: Monthly Workplace Safety and Health Self-Inspection (PDF). Through the OSHA and International Warehouse Logistics Association (IWLA)/Warehouse Education Research Council Alliance, IWLA developed a checklist; Warehouses: Monthly Workplace Safety and Health Self-Inspection. The document is intended to help focus attention on the equipment, and commodities at a typical warehouse operation and the most common activities associated with materials handling and storage. (2007, October 26).
Publications and Newsletters
- IWLA E-newsletter, (2006, April 24) edition. The IWLA April 24, 2006 edition of its monthly e-newsletter includes an article, "Safety and Your Hispanic Workforce" that promotes OSHA's online Spanish-language compliance assistance tools and resources.
- IWLA/OSHA Alliance page
- Saddle Creek Corporation Provides Forklift and Golf Cart Drivers with Eye Protection. September 2006. A success story describing the Saddle Creek Corporation's formal eye protection program. The Saddle Creek Corporation is a member of IWLA.