Through the OSHA and ITA Alliance, the organizations will work together to encourage employers to increase employer and employee access to safety and health information and training resources on the operation and use of powered industrial trucks and to assist employers and employees in reducing and preventing exposure to potential hazards associated with the use of powered industrial trucks. The Alliance's goals include:
Outreach and Communication:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and the ITA's Web sites) to employers and employees who use powered industrial trucks.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding best practices or effective approaches in the use of powered industrial trucks and publicize results through outreach by ITA and through OSHA- or ITA-developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Promote and encourage ITA members' participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, and the On-site Consultation Program and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
Alliance Annual Reports
Alliance News Releases
Best Practices Seminars
- Forklift Safety: Man, Machine & Environment. Powered Industrial Truck Best Practices Seminar. Through the OSHA and Industrial Truck Association (ITA) Alliance, ITA safety managers conduct training seminars on the safe operation of forklifts for OSHA, State Plan and On-site Consultation representatives from various Regions.
Additional Activities and Events
- May 5-11, 2013: 2013 North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week. The Industrial Truck Association (ITA) and a number of other Alliance Program participants support 2013 NAOSH Week. Sponsored annually by the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) and the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering (CSSE), the Week focuses on the importance of preventing injuries and illnesses in the workplace. 2013 Theme: "Worker Safety Works for Everyone."
- May 6-12, 2012: 2012 North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week. The Industrial Truck Association (ITA) and a number of other Alliance Program participants support 2012 NAOSH Week. Sponsored annually by American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) and the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering (CSSE), the Week focuses on the importance of preventing injuries and illnesses in the workplace. 2012 Theme: "Safety, What Every Business Needs."
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
Kalmar Works with Texas On-Site Consultation Program to Enhance Safety in
Industrial Trucks. OSHA. July 2008. Through the OSHA and ITA Alliance, OSHA
collaborated with Kalmar Rough Terrain Center, LLC to develop a success story
highlighting the company's work with the Texas On-Site Consultation Program that
lead to a number of positive results including the correction of several
workplace hazards and the development of a written safety and health program.
¤ Alliance Implementation Team members serve on the editorial board.
† Alliance Implementation Team members participated in the development of this resource.