Industrial Truck Association (ITA)
(signed January 15, 2004; renewed April 24, 2006; renewed April 9, 2008; renewed January 11, 2016)
Through this Alliance, OSHA and ITA will continue to work together to provide ITA members and others in the transportation and general industries with information and resources to protect the safety and health of workers by reducing workplace incidents associated with the use of powered industrial trucks. The Alliance's goals include:
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
- Sharing information on OSHA's National Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process.
Outreach and Communication
- Promoting awareness of OSHA's Fall Prevention and Heat Campaigns, as well as sharing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards associated with the use of powered industrial trucks (e.g., struck-bys and tip-overs).
- Expanding existing relationships between ITA and OSHA's Regional and Area Offices to address health and safety issues, including the training of Agency staff and providing technical expertise when appropriate.
- Working with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects such as temporary worker protection, and any other issues that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Training and Education
- Developing materials and effective training aids that align with current regulatory information, interpretations, and enforcement initiatives, as well as promoting an understanding of workers' rights and employer responsibilities outlined in the OSH Act.
- Providing for the delivery of at least three Best Practice Training Seminars annually to agency staff, focusing on powered industrial truck safety and updated design and construction requirements established in the American National Standard for Powered Industrial Trucks (ANSI B56.1-2012).
- Agreement signed January 15, 2004.
- Renewal Agreement signed April 24, 2006.
- Renewal Agreement signed April 9, 2008.
- Renewal Agreement signed January 11, 2016.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2007-2008, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2008-2009, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
Alliance News Releases and QuickTakes
- OSHA, Industrial Truck Association form Alliance Will focus on safe operation of powered industrial trucks. OSHA News Release, (2004, January 15).
- Forklift Operations by Young Workers Subject of Safety Initiative. OSHA News Release, (2004, February 11).
- OSHA Renews Alliance with the Industrial Truck Association. OSHA News Release, (2006, April 27).
- OSHA and the Industrial Truck Association Renew Alliance to Prevent Hazards of Powered Industrial Trucks. OSHA News Release, (2008, April 22).
- OSHA, Industrial Truck Association renew alliance to reduce hazards associated with powered industrial trucks. OSHA News Release, (2016, February 1).
- OSHA renews alliance to reduce hazards associated with powered industrial trucks. OSHA QuickTakes (2016, February 2).
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Powered Industrial Trucks (Forklift)†
- Kalmar Works with Texas On-Site Consultation Program to Enhance Safety in Industrial Trucks. OSHA. July 2008. Through the OSHA and ITA Alliance, OSHA collaborated with Kalmar Rough Terrain Center, LLC to develop a success story highlighting the company's work with the Texas On-Site Consultation Program that lead to a number of positive results including the correction of several workplace hazards and the development of a written safety and health program.
- Preventing Injuries and Deaths of Workers Who Operate or Work Near Forklifts. US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 2001-109, (2001, June).
- Protecting Young Workers: Prohibition against Young Workers Operating Forklifts (PDF). OSHA Safety and Health Information Bulletin.
- Powered Industrial Trucks Training. OSHA Training and Reference Materials.
- The Industrial Truck Association. OSHA Information page contains links to sites relating to industrial truck safety.
†Alliance Implementation Team members participated in the development of this resource.