On October 3, 2005, OSHA and ISCC formed an Alliance to provide ISCC members and others, including
small businesses, in the pet care industry with information and guidance and access to training
resources regarding reducing and preventing exposure to ergonomic hazards and addressing hazard
communication issues in the pet care industry.
OSHA and ISCC agreed to conclude the Alliance as of October 3, 2007. However, OSHA will continue to
work with ISCC through other avenues to share information on reducing and preventing exposure to
ergonomic and chemical hazards related to the pet care industry.
During the implementation of the Alliance, the following successes resulted from the organizations'
work together to meet the agreements' goals:
- Through the OSHA and ISCC Alliance, ISCC developed several tip sheets, including "Clipper
Ergonomics," "Warm up and Stretching, and" Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in the Pet Styling
- Chuck Lauritzen, ISCC representative participated on the editorial boards of OSHA's Medical and
First Aid, Occupational Epidemiology, and Ventilation Safety and Health Topics pages.
- During the 2007 U.S. Pet Pro Classic in Plano, Texas November 9-11, 2007, Brett Besser, Industrial
Hygienist, Salt Lake Technical Center, Directorate of Science, Technology and Medicine gave numerous
presentation about ergonomics, hazardous communications, and equipment and sanitation.
- Representatives from the Alliance distributed OSHA publications including the OSHA and ISCC
Alliance Activities Summary, All About OSHA, and the Alliance Program brochure at numerous events
including the U.S. Pet Pro Classic, the Atlanta Pet Fair and the Intergroom Pet Styling Expo.
- On November 10, 2006, Kathryn Delaney, Area Director, Region VI, Dallas, Texas Area Office,
USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation, "All about OSHA: How Small Employers Can Get into Compliance," to
over 75 attendees during the 2006 U.S. Pet Pro Classic.
- On October 17, 2005, Pam Lauritzen and Melissa Sirianni gave a presentation on the OSHA and ISCC
Alliance during the U.S. Pet Pro Classic in Dallas, Texas.