Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA)
(signed July 30, 2010; renewed July 28, 2014)
Through the OSHA and GCCA Alliance, both organizations are committed to providing GCCA members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). The Alliance will work to address the reduction and prevention of exposure to hazards related to chemical releases from ammonia refrigeration systems and improving the Process Safety Management (PSM) programs for these systems. The Alliances' goals include:
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
- To share information on OSHA's National Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process.
- To convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on ammonia refrigeration system related issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
Outreach and communication
- To develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, emphasizing ammonia refrigeration, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA's and the GCCA's Web sites) to employers and workers in the industry.
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or GCCA's conferences, local meetings, or other events such as American Safety Training Institute Ammonia Safety Days, International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration conferences, and other GCCA conferences.
- To share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding ammonia refrigeration system good practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, safety stand-downs, and lectures (or any other applicable forum) developed by the participants.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2010-2011, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2011-2012, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2012-2016, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report FY2017, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
Products and Resources
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Emergency Action Plans English (PDF), Spanish (PDF). Through the OSHA and Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) Alliance, GCCA developed a poster on ammonia safety focusing on emergency action plans. (2012, March; Spanish translation 2013, May).
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Identifying Ammonia Leaks English (PDF), Spanish (PDF). Through the OSHA and Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) Alliance, GCCA developed a poster to help identify ammonia leaks. (2011, March; Spanish translation 2012, January).
- Ammonia Safety Poster: OSHA National Emphasis Program (NEP) - Chemical Facilities (PDF). Through the OSHA and Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) Alliance, GCCA developed a poster focusing on the key things a PSM covered chemical facility needs to know about the OSHA NEP. (2012, July).
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Personal Protective Equipment for Refrigeration and Maintenance Technicians (PDF). Through the OSHA and Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) Alliance, GCCA developed a poster focusing on personal protective equipment for refrigeration and maintenance technicians, including examples of protective wear. (2013, May).
- OSHA National Emphasis Program (NEP) - PSM Covered Chemical Facilities: Documentation Checklist (PDF). Through the OSHA and Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) Alliance, GCCA developed a documentation checklist focusing on PSM covered chemical facilities, which includes items addressing compliance audits, hazard analyses, and equipment inspection. (2013, May).
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page
- Haskell Improves Safety Performance at Construction Projects Through OSHA's Cooperative Programs and On-site Consultation Program. OSHA, (2011, August). Through the OSHA's Alliance with the Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) Alliance, the participants developed a success story that highlights how a design-build construction firm improved its safety performance through participation in OSHA's cooperative programs and On-site Consultation Program.