CPWR- The Center for Construction Research and Training (CPWR)
(signed January 11, 2017; renewed July 17, 2019)
Through the OSHA and CPWR Alliance, the organizations are committed reducing construction-related injuries, illnesses, and fatalities, and supporting OSHA's priority initiatives. Specifically, both organizations are committed to providing construction workers, employers, and others, including members of other construction alliances and the public with information, guidance, and access to safety and health research findings, interventions, and related training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). Through the Alliance, the organizations will continue to address known and emerging construction hazards, and OSHA priority hazards including falls, silica, trenching, and working in hot and cold weather. The Alliance will also promote resources to improve safety culture and safety management systems.
Raising Awareness: Outreach and Communications
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings, such as CPWR's virtual roundtable on reaching small contractors and their employees and webinar series, on known and emerging construction hazards to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
- Encourage worker participation in workplace safety and health by disseminating research findings, solutions, and training programs that address known and emerging construction hazards.
- Develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and communicate such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, social media platforms, and OSHA and CPWR websites) to employers and workers in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA and CPWR conferences, local meetings, or other events, including OSHA's Alliance Program Forum and Construction Roundtable.
- Share information on OSHA's National Initiatives (Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, Outreach), and opportunities to participate in initiatives and the rulemaking process, including the National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction and Safety Stand-Down, the Safe + Sound Campaign, Youth Summer Job Campaign, and the Trenching Emphasis Program.
- Share information with workers and employers on employee protections from retaliation under Section 11(c) of the OSH Act, including information on procedures for workers to use in submitting a complaint to OSHA and practices for employers to use in preventing retaliation.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding CPWR research-based good practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Collaborate with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects such as elevator constructor safety, emergency response and recovery operations, and raising stakeholder awareness for safe practices when working in enclosed cabs.
Alliance Annual Reports
Products and Resources
- Practice Trench Safety. It Saves Lives. English (PDF) and Spanish (PDF). Through the OSHA and CPWR-The Center for Construction Research and Training Alliance, CPWR developed an infographic on trench safety. (2018, November).
- Protect Yourself Against Heat Exposure. English (PDF) and Spanish (PDF). Through the OSHA and CPWR-The Center for Construction Research and Training Alliance, CPWR developed an infographic on how to protect yourself from heat exposure by following heat safety practices. (2018, September).