Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) and the Council on Certification of Health, Environmental and Safety Technologists (CCHEST)
(signed September 26, 2003; addendum signed September 13, 2004; renewed July 12, 2006; concluded September 26, 2007)
The OSHA, BCSP and CCHEST Alliance focuses on providing information and guidance and access to training resources regarding the value of safety and health professionalism and accredited certifications. The organizations will use their collective expertise to help enhance safety professionals' education and professional expertise and promote the value of increasing safety competency in the workplace. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop job performance metrics for safety and health professionals and to develop safety curricula.
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to develop materials and programs to promote the awareness of and the value and benefits of achieving safety and health certifications and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's, BCSP's and CCHEST's Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding safety and health certification through outreach by BCSP and CCHEST or OSHA developed materials, workshops, seminars, and lectures.
- Work with other Alliance participants on safety and health certification issues.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health certification and publicize the results.
- Agreement signed September 26, 2003.
- Addendum signed September 13, 2004.
- Renewal Agreement signed July 12, 2006.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2003-2004, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of September 26, 2007.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA, ASSE, CSSE and Industry Groups Team Up to Increase Job Safety for North American Occupational Safety and Health Week. OSHA News Release, (2007, May 4).
- OSHA Renews Alliance with Board of Certified Safety Professionals, Certification Council. OSHA News Release, (2006, July 12).
- Certification Council added to year-old Alliance with Board of Certified Safety Professionals. OSHA News Release, (2004, September 13).
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals Aligns with OSHA. OSHA News Release, (2003, September 26).
Products and Resources
- Career Paths in Safety
- The Certified Safety Professional and the Value of Certification Fact Sheet (PDF).
- BCSP Alliance page
- BCSP Database of Safety and Related Academic Programs in the United States. Users can search this database to find U.S. academic programs in safety and related fields, including industrial hygiene, fire protection and the environment. In addition, users can search by program level, including undergraduate and graduate certificates and associate and bachelor degrees.
- Career Guide to the Safety Profession (PDF).
- Evaluating a Safety Degree Curriculum Using Job Analysis for the Occupational Health and Safety Technologist Certification (PDF).
- Evaluating an Associate Safety Degree Curriculum Using Job Analysis for the Occupational Health and Safety Technologist Certification