Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN)
(signed December 15, 2006; renewed April 1, 2009; concluded November 13, 2012.)
The OSHA and AORN Alliance will provide AORN's members and others, including perioperative healthcare providers and small businesses (e.g., ambulatory surgery centers), with information, guidance, and access to training resources to protect employees' health and safety. In particular, the Alliance will address preventing exposure to bloodborne diseases, and exposure to smoke plume generated from the use of electrosurgery units (ESU) and lasers, and laser safety. Goals of the agreement include:
Outreach and Communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and AORN's Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or AORN's conferences, local meetings, such as the annual AORN Congress or other AORN sponsored events.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding AORN's best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by AORN and through OSHA or AORN's developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects, including bloodborne diseases, exposure to surgical plume, and laser safety that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
- Encourage AORN local chapters to build relationships with OSHA's Regional and Area Offices to address health and safety issues, including bloodborne pathogen hazards, exposure to surgical smoke from electrosurgery units (ESU) and lasers, and laser safety.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2007-2008, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2008-2009, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2009-2010, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2010-2011, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of November 13, 2012.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA Signs New Alliance with Nurses Association. OSHA News Release, (2006, December 15).
Products and Resources
Alliance Developed Products
Through the OSHA and Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) Alliance, AORN developed the following products:
- Sharps Safety Checklist for Health Care Facilities (PDF). Provides guidance for health care personnel to ensure compliance with the sharps safety requirements in OSHA's Bloodborne Pathogens Standard. The checklist includes, but is not limited to, exposure control, safety handling procedures, injury logs, and management of sharps devices. (2012, October).
- Laser Safety Checklist (PDF). Provides guidance for perioperative personnel to ensure a safe environment for patients and health care workers during the use of laser technology. (2011, June).
- Use of Blunt-Tip Suture Needles to Decrease Percutaneous Injuries to Surgical Personnel (PDF). Describes the hazards of using sharp-tip suture needles, the effectiveness of using blunt-tip suture needles and emphasizes OSHA requirements. (2009, December).
- Sharps Safety in the Operating Room; Creating an Injury Prevention Program (PDF). Provides healthcare workers with a reference tool that provides information about developing and implementing an Operating Room Sharps Safety Program. (2009, October).
- Alliance Program Participant Developed Products
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Bloodborne Pathogens and Needlestick Prevention
- Computer Workstations
- Dermal Exposure
- Eye and Face Protection
- Fall Protection
- Fire Safety
- Laser/Electrosurgery Plume
- Laser Hazards
- Latex Allergy
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Reproductive Hazards
- Waste Anesthetic Gases
Publications and Newsletters
- OSHA Offers New Resources for Healthcare Compliance. AORN Management Connections, (2007, September).
- AORN/OSHA Alliance page
- Compliance Assistance Quick Start: Health Care Industry
- Use of Blunt-Tip Suture Needles to Decrease Percutaneous Injuries to Surgical Personnel. NIOSH Safety and Health Information Bulletin, (2007, October).
†Alliance Implementation Team members participated in the development of this resource.