American Meat Institute (AMI)
(signed October 24, 2002; renewed July 12, 2004; renewed September 27, 2006; concluded October 24, 2008)
This Alliance provides AMI members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, including non-English or limited English speaking workers. In particular, the Alliance focuses on ergonomics and lockout/tagout issues, including the prevention of amputations. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop training and education programs for the meat packing and processing industry, and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or AMI's conferences, local meetings, or other events such as the AMI Conference on Worker Safety, Health and Human Resources.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding AMI's effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by AMI and through OSHA- or AMI-developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
- Agreement signed October 24, 2002.
- Renewal Agreement signed July 12, 2004.
- Renewal Agreement signed September 27, 2006.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2002-2003, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2003-2004, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-Out Report as of November 4, 2008.
Alliance News Releases
- Landmark Worker Safety Agreement Between AMI, OSHA Signed for Two-Year Extension. AMI News Release, (2006, September 28).
- Occupational Injuries to Workers in Meat and Poultry Processing Continues Downward Decline. AMI News Release, (2005, December 29).
- OSHA Debuts Electronic Assistance Tool on Ammonia Refrigeration. OSHA News Release, (2004, July 15).
- AMI, OSHA Sign Two-Year Renewal of Alliance to Enhance Worker Safety. AMI News Release, (2004, July 13).
- OSHA, American Meat Institute Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2004, July 12).
- OSHA, American Meat Institute Form Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2002, October 24).
Products and Resources
- Ammonia Refrigeration
- Evacuation Plans and Procedures
- Eye and Face Protection
- Machine Guarding
- Powered Industrial Trucks (Forklift)
OSHA Expert Advisor Tools
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page
- OSHA and Meat Processing Industry in Nebraska Work Together to Promote Safety. OSHA Region VII Showcase, (2003, November).
- Worker Safety in the Meat and Poultry Industry. AMI Fact Sheet, (2008, October).