American Council of Independent Laboratories (ACIL)
(signed July 29, 2003; renewed November 18, 2005; renewed July 17, 2007; concluded January 7, 2008)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and ACIL will work together to raise awareness of OSHA's Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) Program for general industry and in particular small businesses. This includes increasing awareness of OSHA's requirements for product approvals by NRTLs. The Alliance's goals include:
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards and ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and ACIL's Web sites) to employers and employees in general industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or ACIL's conferences, local meetings, ACIL's annual meetings, legislative conferences or other NRTL related events.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by ACIL and through OSHA- or ACIL-developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Encourage ACIL members and OSHA's Regional and Area Offices to build relationships to address health and safety issues relating to OSHA's NTRL Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on NRTL product approval and electrical safety issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
- Agreement signed July 29, 2003.
- Renewal Agreement signed November 18, 2005.
- Renewal Agreement signed July 17, 2007.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2003-2004, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of January 7, 2008.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA renews Alliance with American Council of Independent Laboratories. OSHA News Release, (2007, July 25).
- OSHA and American Council of Independent Laboratories Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2005, December 2).
- OSHA Aligns with American Council of Independent Laboratories. OSHA National News Release, (2003, July 29).
Products and Resources
- OSHA Requirements for Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory Approval of Products. This reviews the history of the NRTL program along with its operating standard, types of products that are required to receive the NRTL safety mark, and the certifying laboratories.
- Quick Tips for Identifying Counterfeit Marks (PDF). Developed through the OSHA and ACIL Alliance, the Quick Tips provides information on how to identify counterfeit marks and products in the workplace. (2006, September).
- White Paper: The Threat of Counterfeit Product Approval Marks Warrants Aggressive Detection and Enforcement Action (PDF). Developed through the OSHA and ACIL Alliance, the White Paper provides information to help safety and health professionals and the public understand the dangers of products with counterfeit marks. (2006, September).
- Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL) Program. OSHA. Recognizes private sector organizations to perform certification for certain products to ensure that they meet the requirements of both the construction and general industry OSHA electrical standards.