The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) and Agricultural Retailers Association (ARA)
(signed February 4, 2019)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and TFI/ARA will work together to provide partner members and the public with information, guidance, and access to training resources to help them protect the health, safety and security of workers, emergency responders, and the communities surrounding establishments in the agricultural retail and supply industry, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). The alliance will particularly focus on the safe storage and handling of fertilizers (ammonium nitrate and anhydrous ammonia), as well as the sharing of emergency response information between the agribusiness communities, and first responders.
Raising Awareness: Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following objectives:
- Further leverage the success of the ResponsibleAg program, which is an industry training program that works to enhance health and safety performance at agricultural retail facilities.
- Share information on OSHA's National Initiatives (Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, Outreach), and opportunities to participate in initiatives and the rulemaking process.
- Share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- Share information about safety and health tools and resources on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards (e.g., through print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and the TFI and ARA websites) with employers and workers in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA, TFI, and ARA conferences, local meetings, or other events, including the OSHA Alliance Program Forum.
- Share information among OSHA personnel, small businesses, and industry safety and health professionals regarding TFI and ARA good practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Encourage TFI and ARA Local Sections to build relationships with OSHA Regional and Area Offices to address health and safety issues, including the safe storage and handling of fertilizers.
- Agreement signed February 4, 2019.