Shipbuilding Group (SBG)
(signed March 29, 2016)
- National Shipbuilding Research Program (NSRP)
- Shipbuilders Council of America (SCA)
Through the OSHA and SBG Alliance, the organizations are committed to providing the Shipbuilding Group members’ and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to electrical, ergonomic, struck-by, and slip, trip, and fall hazards in shipyard employment, addressing issues of non-English-speaking or limited-English-speaking workers, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). The Alliance goals include:
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
- Share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on shipyard safety and health issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
Training and Education
- Develop effective training and education programs for shipyard employees regarding hazards associated with electricity, ergonomics, struck-by, slips, trips and falls, and other hazards as identified, and to communicate such information to constituent employers and workers.
Outreach and communication
- Develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA’s and the Shipbuilding Group’s Web sites) to employers and workers in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA’s or the Shipbuilding Group’s conferences, local meetings, or other events such as SCA’s Bi-Annual Health and Safety Seminar.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding Shipbuilding Group’s good practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum) developed by the participants.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects on shipyard employment issues that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
- Agreement signed March 29, 2016.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report FY2017, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.