AGREEMENT RENEWING AN ALLIANCE
REGION VIII - BILLINGS AREA OFFICE
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
MONDAKS SAFETY NETWORK
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA - REGION VIII - Billings Area Office), and the MonDaks Safety Network recognize the value of maintaining a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful Montana workplaces. The Parties hereby form an the Alliance signed October 12th, 2017 with the emphasis on providing Montana employers and workers with information, guidance and training resources that will assist them in implementing a robust systems approach to advancing the health and safety of employees within the oil and gas industry. Specifically, each organization is committed to providing MonDaks Safety Network members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). The overarching continuing goal of this renewed Alliance is to reduce the number of occupational exposures to physical and chemical hazards, which can result in injuries and fatalities in the upstream oil and gas industry. The Parties also recognize that OSHA - REGION VIII's Consultation Project partner, the Montana Safety and Health Bureau of the Montana Department of Labor and Industry (MDLI) are an integral part of this undertaking.
This agreement provides a framework and objectives for the Alliance's activities. Alliance participants will summarize specific activities and timeframes for completion in a written work plan.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
The Parties will work together to achieve the following goals related to raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives:
- To share information on OSHA's National/Regional/Local Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process.
- To share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- To convene and participate in forums, round table discussions and stake holder meetings addressing oil and gas safety and health issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
- To raise employers' and workers' awareness of, and demonstrate their own commitment to, workplace safety and health whenever MonDaks Safety Network leaders address groups.
- To encourage worker participation in workplace safety and health by attending MonDaks Safety Network meetings, forums, and conferences.
Training and Education
The Parties will work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
- Collaborate to develop training and education programs for oil and gas exploration and production companies and workers regarding safety and health programs and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the oil and gas industry.
- Collaborate to provide expertise in developing workplace safety and health information for oil and gas exploration, production and servicing companies and workers in the Williston Basin.
- Collaborate with other governmental agencies and private entities to facilitate occupational and environmental health and safety presentations, training and resources at monthly MonDaks Safety Network meetings.
Outreach and Communication
The Parties will work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- Promote and encourage the participation of employees, managers, and supervisors in MonDaks Safety Network committees and programs to enhance communication; assist with identification of training and education needs; develop and coordinate applicable training; and share relevant safety information.
- Develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, Hazard Alerts, and OSHA - REGION VIII's and applicable industry websites) to employers and employees in the oil and gas industry.
- Speak, exhibit or appear at the MonDaks Safety Network's conferences, local meetings or other events.
- Promote and encourage MonDaks Safety Network's members' or worksites' participation in the Montana Department of Labor & Industry's Safety and Health Bureau Consultation Program and the Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) and OSHA - REGION VIII's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance and the Voluntary Protection Program (VPP).
- To develop and disseminate the results of case studies on industry specific safety and environmental issues illustrating the business value of improved safety and health.
The Alliance provides parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA for purposes such as raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives, training and education, outreach and communication and promoting a regional dialogue on workplace safety and health.
The Alliance is designed to be a valuable tool for both OSHA - REGION VIII - Billings Area Office and its participants. By entering into an Alliance, the Parties do not endorse any of the participant's products or services, nor do the Parties enter into an Alliance with the purpose of promoting a particular party's products or services.
An implementation team consisting of representatives of all three organizations will meet twice a year to develop a work plan, determine working procedures and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. Team members will include a representative of OSHA - REGION VIII, OSHA - REGION VIII's Billings Area Office, and MonDaks Safety Network Board of Officers. In addition, they will meet at least two times per year to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance. OSHA - REGION VIII - Billings Area Office will encourage its Consultation Projects' participation on the team.
Each party will independently determine the nature and extent of the resources it will contribute to the Alliance initiatives. This agreement will remain in effect for five years, unless terminated earlier by the parties. Any signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give a 30 day written notice. This agreement may only be modified in writing with the concurrence of all signatories.
Signed this 12th day of October, 2017
Area Director - Billings Area Office
OSHA - Region VIII
MonDaks Safety Network