|<< Back to Region VII
Date Signed: May 11, 2005
Date Renewed: April 30, 2009
This Alliance addresses safety and health issues confronted primarily by youth entering the construction and general industry through Pittsburg State University’s (PSU) College of Technology. The alliance information, guidance and access to training resources provided PSU’s students; business partners and others will help them protect employees' health and safety with particular emphasis in the areas of youth outreach/training to reduce construction and general industry hazards.
The agreement also focuses on a number of goals including:
Training and education:
- Work with OSHA in the development of training and education programs for construction and general industry regarding the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in these industries.
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in the development of workplace safety and health curricula on such topics as the following: Hazard Awareness and Recognition, Benefits of an effective Safety and Health Program, Effective Safety and Health Training and OSHA Recordkeeping.
- Pittsburg State University will deliver or arrange for the delivery of these courses.
Outreach and Communication:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and PSU’s websites) to employers and employees.
- Speak, exhibit or appear at PSU safety and health conferences, local meetings, conferences and other appropriate meetings or events.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and others regarding PSU’s best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by PSU and through OSHA or PSU developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars and lectures.
- Promote and encourage PSU students and business partner’s participation in OSHA’s cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation and the Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Promote safety and health knowledge at the High School level through dissemination of information utilizing resources such as the Four State Regional Technology Conference.
Implementation Team Members
- Dr. Bruce Dallman, Dean - College Of Technology, PSU
- Patrick Flynn - Safety Course Chair
- David K. McDonnell, CAS - OSHA – Wichita Area Office
Implementation Team Meetings
- An implementation meeting was held April 17, 2008; the meeting was held to discuss areas of emphasis and proposed language for the renewed alliance.
Activities and Products
03/12/2008 – 05/11/2009
- OSHA CAS activity
- April 17, 2008 – Advisory Board meeting.
- April 18, 2008 – Presentation on Safety and Health Programs for students of the Technology Department pursuing a minor in safety.
- March 12, 2009 – Spoke to two classes about VPP
- April 30, 2009 – Attended the Safety Advisory Board meeting.
- April 30, 2009 – Renewed Alliance with PSU
Outreach and Communication
- OSHA and PSU continue to expand youth outreach in the state of Kansas, especially to High School students via the Four State Technology Conference hosted annually by PSU.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
|4/17/08 - CAS attended the Advisory Board meeting
|4/18/08 – CAS provided Safety and Health Programs Presentation
|3/12/09 – CAS provided 2 VPP presentations
4/30/09 – CAS attended the Advisory Board meeting
- Continued participation in the Safety Advisory Board by the Wichita Area Office.
Report Prepared by: David McDonnell, OSHA Wichita Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA's Website.