TEXT VERSION OF SLIDE:
Title: 1926.451(e) Access (cont'd)
Type: Text Slide with Image
- Hook-on attachable ladders
- Specifically designed for type of scaffold
- Lowest rung no more than 24 inches above level on which scaffold is supported
- Rest platforms at 35 foot intervals when more than 35 feet high
- Minimum rung length 11 ½ inches, and a maximum space between rungs 16 ¾ inches
[Includes photo of scaffolding with properly attached ladder]
When scaffold platforms are more than 2 feet above or below a point of access, portable ladders, hook-on ladders, attachable ladders, or other means of safe access must be provided. Other types of access may include stair towers, ramps, or walkways.
When using portable hook-on ladders, they must be positioned so they do not tip the scaffold over.
Additionally, the spacing of the ladder rungs must be 16 ¾ inches or less and have a minimum length of 11 ½ inches.
Following these guidelines will allow you to safely access scaffolding and reduce your risk of falls.