- Synonyms: ortho-Aminotoluene; o-Methylaniline; 1-Methyl-1,2-amino-benzene; 2-Methylaniline
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: 2475
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 95-53-4
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: XU2975000; 83249
- Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Emergency Response Guidebook: UN 1708 Poison 153
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards, o-Toluidine: Chemical description, physical properties, potentially hazardous incompatibilities, and more
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- colorless to pale yellow liquid with a weak, aromatic odor
- molecular weight: 107
- boiling point: 391°F
- vapor pressure: <1 mm
- melting point: -3°F
- Incompatibilities: Strong oxidizers
- OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
- General Industry: 5 ppm, 22 mg/m3 (Skin)
- Construction Industry: 5 ppm, 22 mg/m3 TWA (Skin)
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 2 ppm, 8.8 mg/m3 TWA (Skin); Appendix A3 (Confirmed Animal Carcinogen with Unknown Relevance to Humans)
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): Potential Carcinogen; lowest feasible concentration (Skin)
- Carcinogenic Classification:
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Group 2B, possibly carcinogenic to humans (3,3'-Dimethylbenzidine) (PDF)
- National Toxicology Program (NTP): Reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen (PDF)
- Potential Symptoms: Anoxia; headaches; cyanosis; weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, micro hematuria; eye burns; dermatitis; (carcinogenic)
- Health Effects: Methemoglobinemia (HE13); Acute systemic effects (HE4)
- Affected Organs: Blood, kidneys, liver, CVS, skin, eyes
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Coated Glass Fiber Filters (37 mm) in 3 piece cassette. Coating is Sulfuric Acid.
- maximum volume: 100 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min
- current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/ECD
- sampling and analytical error: 0.09
- method reference: 2 (OSHA 73)
- method classification: Fully Validated
- note: Filters may be obtained by OSHA personnel from the Salt Lake Technical Center (SLTC).
Secondary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SAM2):
- Detector Tube
- company: Gastec
- part #: 181
- range: 2.5-35 ppm
- classification: Mfg
- company: Infrared Spectrophotometer
- part #: MIRAN 1A & 1B
- range: 0.9 ppm @ 13.5 µm
- classification: Mfg
- Limit the amount of bulk submitted to one gram or one mL.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top