- Chemical Sampling Information
- Particulates Not Otherwise Regulated (Respirable Fraction)
Particulates Not Otherwise Regulated (Respirable Fraction)
Synonyms: Dust (respirable nuisance); "Inert" dusts; Nuisance dusts; PNOR (Note: includes all inert or nuisance dusts, whether mineral, inorganic, not listed specifically in 1910.1000)
OSHA IMIS code: 9130 (IMIS History: Dust [respirable nuisance] prior to 9/1/89)
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method:
- tared (pre-weighed) 37-mm diameter low-ash polyvinyl chloride filter preceded by 10 mm nylon cyclone
- maximum volume: 816 L
- minimum volume: 408 L
- maximum flow rate: 1.7 L/min
- current analytical method: Gravimetric
- method reference: OSHA PV2121 (partially validated)
- note: OSHA personnel can obtain tared sampling media from OSHA-Salt Lake Technical Center (SLTC).
- note: If the filter is not overloaded, samples can be collected up to an 8-hour period.
Exposure Limits and Health Effects (Updated September 6, 2012)
|Standard Set By||Exposure Limit||Health Effect Codes -- Health Effects and Target Organs|
|OSHA PEL - General Industry
See 29 CFR 1910.1000 Table Z-1 (PNOR) and 29 CFR 1910.1000 Table Z-3 (Inert or Nuisance Dust)
|5 mg/m3 TWA (15 mppcf†) TWA||HE10 -- lung disease|
|OSHA PEL - Construction Industry||Not established|
|OSHA PEL - Shipyard Employment||Not established|
|NIOSH REL||Not established
See Appendix D
|ACGIH TLV®||No TLV established. See Appendix B of the TLV booklet for guidelines.||HE10 -- lung disease, with compromised airway clearance|
|CAL/OSHA PELs||5 mg/m3 TWA|
†mppcf = Millions of particles per cubic foot of air
- NTP: Not listed
- IARC: Not listed
- EPA: Not listed
EPA Inhalation Reference Concentration (RfC): Not established
ATSDR Inhalation Minimal Risk Levels (MRLs): Not established
NIOSH IDLH concentration: Not established
Notes on other potential health effects and hazards:
- Exposure to dusts may to decrease pulmonary function (Shieh et al. 2012).
Partial reference list:
- ACGIH: Documentation of the Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) and Biological Exposure Indices (BEIs) - Particulates (Insoluble) Not Otherwise Specified (PNOS). 2016.
- Shieh, T.S., Chung, J.J., Wang, C.J., Tsai, P.J., Kuo, Y.C., Guo, H.R.: Pulmonary function, respiratory symptoms, and dust exposure among workers engaged in early manufacturing processes of tea: a cohort study. BMC Public Health. 12:121, Feb 13, 2012.
- NIOSH: Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards - Particulates Not Otherwise Regulated.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.