OSHA IMIS Code Number: 1270
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 7782-41-4
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: LM6475000
Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Guide: 9192 167 (cryogenic liquid); 1045 124
NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards, Fluorine: chemical description, physical properties, potentially hazardous incompatibilities, and more
OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
General Industry: 29 CFR 1910.1000 Table Z-1 - 0.1 ppm, 0.2 mg/m3 TWA
Construction Industry: 29 CFR 1926.55 Appendix A - 0.1 ppm, 0.2 mg/m3 TWA
Maritime: 29 CFR 1915.1000 Table Z-Shipyards - 0.1 ppm, 0.2 mg/m3 TWA
American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 1 ppm, 1.6 mg/m3 TWA; 2 ppm, 3.1 mg/m3 STEL
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 0.1 ppm, 0.2 mg/m3 TWA
NIOSH Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentration (IDLH): 25 ppm
Potential Symptoms: Eye, nose, respiratory tract irritation; laryngeal spasm, wheezing; pulmonary edema; eye, skin burns; in animals: liver, kidney damage
Health Effects: Lung edema (HE11); Irritation-Eyes, Nose, Throat, Skin, Lungs---Marked (HE14); Cumulative liver and kidney damage (HE3)
Affected Organs: Eyes, skin, respiratory system, liver, kidneys
- EPA's oral reference dose (daily oral exposure likely to be without an appreciable risk of deleterious effects during a lifetime) of fluorine is 0.06 mg/kg/day.
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: Fluorine.
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Fluorine.
- U.S. EPA Integrated Risk Information System: Fluorine (soluble fluoride); CASRN 7782-41-4.
- Pohanish, R.P. (editor): Fluorine. In, Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, Fourth Ed., Vol. 1. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications, William Andrew Publishing, 2002, pp. 1164-1166.
Date Last Revised: 01/23/2006
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- sampling media: Midget Fritted Glass Bubbler (MFGB) containing 15 mL of 0.1 N NaOH
maximum volume: 480 Liters
maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min
current analytical method: Ion Specific Electrode; ISE
method reference: OSHA Salt Lake Technical Center In-House File
method classification: Not Validated
note: Submit as separate sample. Sample will be analyzed for total fluoride using Method ID-110 and the result will be reported as fluorine.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.