- Chemical Sampling Information
- Carbon Monoxide
Synonyms: CO; Diesel Exhaust Component
OSHA IMIS code: 0560
CAS number(s): 630-08-0
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method:
- five layer aluminized gas sampling bag
- recommended maximum volume: No more than 80% of nominal bag capacity
- recommended minimum volume: 2 L (TWA)
- recommended maximum flow rate: 0.05 L/min (TWA)
- current analytical method: gas chromatography; GC/DID
- method reference: OSHA ID-210 (fully validated)
- note: Also see Carbon Monoxide (by COHb)
- note: Call the OSHA-Salt Lake Technical Center (SLTC) Physical Measurements Team Leader for instructions.
On-Site Sampling Techniques/Methods:
- electrochemical sensor
- manufacturer: Dräger
- model/type: Model 190 CO Datalogger
- sampling information: up to 8 hours
- upper measurement limit: 999 ppm
- detection limit: 4.1 ppm
- overall uncertainty: 9.6%
- method reference: OSHA ID-209
Exposure Limits and Health Factors
|Standard Set By||Exposure Limit|
|OSHA PEL - General Industry
See 29 CFR 1910.1000 Table Z-1
|50 ppm (55 mg/m3) TWA
|OSHA PEL - Construction Industry
See 29 CFR 1926.55 Appendix A
|50 ppm (55 mg/m3) TWA|
|OSHA PEL - Shipyard Employment
See 29 CFR 1915.1000 Table Z-Shipyards
|50 ppm (55 mg/m3) TWA|
|NIOSH REL||35 ppm (40 mg/m3) TWA
200 ppm (229 mg/m3) Ceiling
|ACGIH TLV® (1989)||25 ppm (29 mg/m3) TWA
Potential symptoms: Headaches; tachypnea; nausea; weakness, dizziness, confusion, hallucinations; cyanosis; depressed S-T segment of electrocardiogram; angina; syncope
Health effects: Asphyxiation, Chemical anoxia
Affected organs: CVS, lungs, CNS
- Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Emergency Response Guidebook: 1016 119; 9202 168 (cryogenic liquid).
- NIOSH: Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards - Carbon Monoxide.
- NIOSH: Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number - FG3500000.
- Occupational Health Guidelines for Chemical Hazards. DHHS/ NIOSH Publication No. 81-123, (January 1981). Provides a table of contents of guidelines for many hazardous chemicals. The files provide technical chemical information, including chemical and physical properties, health effects, exposure limits, and recommendations for medical monitoring, personal protective equipment (PPE), and control procedures.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.