- Chemical Sampling Information
Synonyms: Acetyl methyl carbinol; 1-Hydroxyethyl methyl ketone; gamma-Hydroxy-beta-oxobutane; 3-hydroxy-2-butanone; 2,3-butanolone; Dimethylketol
OSHA IMIS code: A624 (Acetylmethycarbinol prior to 1/28/09)
CAS number: 513-86-0
Chemical description and physical properties:
- light yellow liquid
- molecular formula: C4H8O2
- molecular weight: 88.10
- boiling point: 148°C
- melting point: 15°C
- flash point: 50°C
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method:
- two specially dried silica gel tubes in series. Each tube has a single 600-mg 20/40 mesh section and a glass-fiber filter, the filter faces forward when sampling. SKC 226-183, or equivalent. Use an opaque tube holder or wrap tubes with aluminum foil or other opaque material while sampling.
- maximum volume: 9 L
- minimum flow rate: 0.05 L/min for long-term sampling; 3 liters at 0.2 L/min for short-term sampling.
- current analytical method: gas chromatography; GC/ECD
- analytical solvent: (95:5) ethanol:water with 2 mg/mL PFBHA reagent
- method reference: OSHA 1012 (fully validated)
- note: Separate the two tubes and cap both ends of each tube as soon as possible after sampling. Individually seal the two tubes. Protect tubes from light after sampling.
- alternate analytical method: gas chromatography; GC/FID
- analytical solvent: (95:5) ethanol:water
- method reference: OSHA 1013 (fully validated)
Exposure Limits and Health Effects (Updated September 6, 2012)
|Standard Set By||Exposure Limit||Health Effect Codes -- Health Effects and Target Organs|
|OSHA PEL||Not established|
|NIOSH REL||Not established|
|ACGIH TLV®||Not established|
|CAL/OSHA PELs||Not established|
- NTP: Not listed
- IARC: Not listed
- EPA: Not listed
EPA Inhalation Reference Concentration (RfC): Not established
ATSDR Inhalation Minimal Risk Levels (MRLs): Not established
NIOSH IDLH concentration: Not established
Notes on other potential health effects and hazards:
- Occupational lung diseases have been reported in workers in the microwave popcorn production industry. Several volatile organic compounds, including acetoin, are released from the butter flavoring (NTP 2007).
Partial reference list:
- NIOSH: Manual of Analytical Methods (NMAM) - Acetoin.
- NTP: Chemical Information Review Document for Artificial Butter Flavoring and Constituents Diacetyl [CAS No. 431-03-8] and Acetoin [CAS No. 513-86-0]. January 2007.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.