Normally, employees are not exposed to hazardous levels of airborne lead contaminants
while servicing and maintaining waste water treatment systems. However,
while handling lead-bearing wastes, sludge, and
filters employees may come in contact with lead-containing wastes.
|Waste Water Treatment
Potential Sources of
Figure 1. Waste water treatment area
Possible Engineering and Work Practice
- Liquid lead waste may splash on equipment and become airborne if it dries and becomes
- Employees may contact leaded waste products
while removing and transporting recovered
cake, or sludge.
may contact lead-containing materials
during maintenance, repair
and cleanup operations.
- Ensure that appropriate PPE is provided and used when handling leaded
- Transfer recovered lead in covered or closed
- Clean up spills and lead contaminated water mists, when necessary, to prevent leaded materials from