Provides links to OSHA Construction Standards, agency policies for enforcing the standards, and other information to assist the construction industry.
OSHA responses to specific questions relating to the Agency's letters of interpretation.
Enforcement memos may provide agency policies and/or supplementary enforcement guidance, and some memos may include an interpretation of an OSHA standard.
Documents that provide OSHA's operating procedures and assure consistency within the agency.
Recommended Practices for Safety & Health Programs in Construction
One tool OSHA uses to inform internal staff and the public of significant occupational safety and health issues concerning hazard recognition, evaluation, and control in the workplace and at emergency response sites.
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction (PDF). Final Rule 75:47905-48177, (2010, August 9).
- Steel Erection (PDF). Final Rule 75:27428-27429, (2010, May 17).
- Electric Power Generation, Transmission, and Distribution; Electrical Protective Equipment; Extension of Comment Period; Change in Date of Public Hearing. Proposed Rules 70:59290-59292, (2005, October 12).
- For construction related questions that are not answered by these pages, contact the OSHA or State Plan Office in your location.
- Protecting the Safety and Health of Communication Tower Workers (PDF). (2013, November 8).
- Guidance to Compliance Officers for Focused Inspections in the Construction Industry. Standard Interpretation, (1994, August 22). Recognizes the efforts of responsible contractors who have implemented effective safety and health programs, and encourages other contractors to adopt similar programs.
- Inspection Scheduling for Construction. Directive CPL 02-00-155, (2013, September 6). This is an overview of the OSHA construction inspection scheduling system.
- Compliance Guidance for Residential Construction. Directive STD 03-11-002, (2010, December 16).
- Multi-Employer Citation Policy. Directive CPL 02-00-124 [CPL 2-0.124], (1999, December 10). The purpose of this Directive is to clarify the agency's multi-employer citation policy.
- Questions and Answers on the Respiratory Protection Standard (PDF). (1998, August 3).
- Appendix C to 1910.134:OSHA Respirator Medical Evaluation Questionnaire. A Spanish version is also available.
Standards and Policies
- 29 CFR 1926, Safety and Health Regulations for Construction.
Statistics and Data
- Statistics & Data. Several different types of searches are available. Note: For some searches the letter "C" may be used in the SIC box to search for the Standard Industrial Classification Codes for construction, 1500 to 1799.
Other Resources: Includes Prevention through Design (PtD); OSHA eTools; OSHA Dictionaries - English-to-Spanish and Spanish-to-English.
Top 10 Most Frequently Cited Construction Violations - 2019 (as of Sept. 30, 2019)
- Fall Protection - General Requirements (1926.501)
- Scaffolding (1926.451)
- Ladders (1926.1053)
- Fall Protection - Training (1926.503)
- Eye and Face Protection (1926.102)
- General Safety and Health Provisions (1926.20)
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200)
- Head Protection (1926.100)
- Specific Excavation Requirements (1926.651)
- Fall Protection - Systems Criteria and Practices (1926.502)