Standard Interpretations are letters or memos written in response to public inquiries or field office inquiries regarding how some aspect of or terminology in an OSHA standard or regulation is to be interpreted and enforced by the Agency. These letters provide guidance to clarify the application of an established OSHA standard, policy, or procedure, but they may not, in themselves, establish or revise OSHA policy or procedure or interpret the OSH Act. They must specifically cite the source policy or procedure document they interpret.
Alert: Due to routine maintenance on the OSHA website, some pages may be temporarily unavailable.
To report an emergency, file a complaint with OSHA or ask a safety and health question, call 1-800-321-6742 (OSHA).
- 1926.651 - Clarification of Standards - 01/09/1991
- 1926.651 - Evaluation of the use of aluminum forms as an exit route from trench excavations - 05/11/2004
- 1926.651 - Requirement for Air Sampling in trenches. - 11/19/1991
- 1926.651 - Use of explosion proof certified equipment inside of pipes and manholes. - 09/21/1995
- 1926.651(b)(2) - Clarification of utility "owner" as used in the Safety and Health Standards for Excavations, Underground Installations. - 09/21/2001
- 1926.651(b)(2) - OSHA jurisdiction over oil and gas pipelines may be preempted by DOT standards. - 05/28/2004
- 1926.651(b)(2) - Use of hydro-vacuum excavation equipment and other acceptable means to locate underground utility installions. - 10/23/2003
- 1926.651(b)(3) - Use of hydro-vacuum excavation equipment and other acceptable means to locate underground utility installions. - 10/23/2003
- 1926.651(c)(2) - Evaluation of the use of aluminum forms as an exit route from trench excavations - 05/11/2004
- 1926.651(c)(2) - Removing ladders during trenching activities; compliance with 29 CFR 1926.651(c)(2). - 03/17/2009
- 1926.651(d) - Requirements for use of high-visibility warning garments by construction workers in highway work zones. - 05/11/2004
- 1926.651(g) - Application of the Confined Spaces Advisor to construction; personal fall arrest system requirements. - 11/03/2000
- 1926.651(g) - Soil testing for excavations and confined spaces. - 06/15/1992
- 1926.651(g)(1)(iii) - Limitation on Enforcement of Certain Subsections of the Excavation Standard. - 08/01/1990
- 1926.651(g)(2)(i) - Limitation on Enforcement of Certain Subsections of the Excavation Standard. - 08/01/1990
- 1926.651(h) - Construction standards addressing excavations. - 03/23/1992
- 1926.651(i)(1) - 29 CFR 1926.651(i)(1); excavation operations. - 01/10/2006
- 1926.651(j) - Requirements to prevent trench collapse during sheet-pile operations. - 10/17/2000
- 1926.651(j)(2) - Trench shield must extend 18" above excavation walls when below grade. - 08/10/2000
- 1926.651(l) - Fall protection requirements where employees are required or permitted to cross over excavations. - 08/10/1995