Manual Operations » Explosives
Highlights of Explosives Requirements
In general, explosives (including blasting agents) must be properly stored, transported, and handled so they do not create a hazard to workers.
- Only designated persons shall handle or use explosives.
- While transporting explosives, do not smoke or carry matches or other flame producing products. Also, do not have firearms or loaded cartridges.
- Do not transport blasting caps in the same vehicle as the explosives.
- Do not have any matches or flame producing materials in the area.
- Do not use alcohol, narcotics or other dangerous drugs when using explosives.
- Before you blast, make sure all extra explosives are out of the area and all others are safely away and under cover.
- Always give adequate warning before blasting.
- 29 CFR 1910 Subpart R, Special industries. OSHA Standard.