BP Texas City Violations and Settlement Agreements
After a 2005 explosion and fire at a BP refinery in Texas City, Texas, killed 15 workers and injured 170 more, OSHA conducted 17 inspections and issued hundreds of citations that led to a series of agreements between OSHA and BP to abate hazards and protect refinery workers.
This page contains information on the violations at the BP refinery and the agreements between BP and OSHA to abate these hazards.
July, 2012: BP agrees to pay $13 million and abate process safety management violations
- Fact Sheet: 2012
- Read the 2012 news release
- Read remarks by Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis, July, 2012
- Read remarks by Deputy Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA Jordan Barab, July, 2012
- Listen to audio of press call with Secretary Solis and Deputy Assistant Secretary Barab, July, 2012 [MP3 5.04mb]
- Read the 2012 agreement [PDF 982 KB]
August, 2010: BP pays $50.6 million to resolve failure-to-abate citations
- Read the 2010 news release
- Read remarks by Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis, August, 2010
- Read remarks by Deputy Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA Jordan Barab, August, 2010
- Listen to audio of press call with Secretary Solis and Deputy Assistant Secretary Barab, August, 2012 [MP3 4.28mb]
- Read the 2010 agreement
- BP inspection data since 2005
October, 2009: OSHA issues record breaking fines of more than $87 million to BP
- Read the 2009 news release: The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) today announced it is issuing $87,430,000 in proposed penalties to BP Products North America Inc. for the company's failure to correct potential hazards faced by employees. The fine is the largest in OSHA's history. The prior largest total penalty, $21 million, was issued in 2005, also against BP.
- Fact Sheet: 2009
- 2009 timeline of events
- 2009: BP citation for willful violations - [PDF 8 mb]
- 2009: BP debt collection notice for willful violations - [PDF 45.5 kb]
- 2009: BP citation for failure to abate - [PDF 5 mb]
- 2009: BP debt collection notice for failure to abate - [PDF 64 kb]
September, 2005: OSHA issues $21 million, signs agreement with BP to abate violations
* Accessibility Assistance Contact OSHA's Office of Communications at 202-693-1999 for assistance accessing PDF and MP3 materials.