Skip to main content
Related Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Small Business. OSHA.
- Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP). Recognizes small business employers who operate an exemplary safety and health management system. Upon receiving SHARP recognition, your business will be exempt from programmed inspections during the period that your SHARP certification is valid.
- Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP). OSHA. VPP participants are a select group of facilities that have designed and implemented outstanding health and safety programs.
- A Guide to Packing for Business and Personal Travel. OSHA-Airline Industry and the National Safety Council (NSC), International Air Transport Section Alliance.
- Environmental Screening Checklist and Workbook for Airports and Tenant Operations. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), (July 2000). Includes self-evaluation tools such as environmental screening checklists and workbooks which can be used by industry or government officials to screen or evaluate their compliance with EPA regulations. Helps those in the air transport industry evaluate compliance of either specific activities or areas in the facility or the entire facility.
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). Oversees the formulation of national transportation policy and promotes intermodal transportation.
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Oversees the safety of civil aviation. It also regulates a program to protect the security of civil aviation, and enforces regulations under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act for shipments by air.
- Safety. Develops and implements improved tools and processes, to facilitate more effective use of safety data, both inside and outside the agency, and to help improve aviation safety.
- Airport Safety. Provides guidance on airport operations and safety practices; maintaining airport master records (the 5010 program) in the Airport Safety Data Program; promoting emergency operations, vulnerability reduction, and damage control at civil airports; planning for emergency management of civil airports; and directing Federal activities and their restoration after attack or natural disaster.
- Health and safety in air transport industry. Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Deals with a variety of airline issues. Search "Live Issues", "Program of Work", and "From Experience" for the best information.
- News and Publications: Airport Magazine. American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE). Links to download area where latest issues are available.
- Rosekind, M. R., et al. "Fatigue Factors in Regional Airline Operations." (June 1994). Presented at the meeting of the Public Forum on Commuter Airline Safety, Atlanta, Georgia.
- How Baggage Handling Works. How Stuff Works. Provides a basic explanation of baggage movement in an airport and other general information on baggage and freight movement.