There are twenty-eight OSHA-approved State Plans, operating state-wide occupational safety and health programs. State Plans are required to have standards and enforcement programs that are at least as effective as OSHA's and may have different or more stringent requirements.
This section highlights OSHA standards and standard interpretations (official letters of interpretation of the standards) related to poultry processing.
Frequently Cited Standards
OSHA maintains a listing of the most frequently cited standards for specified 6-digit North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes. Please refer to OSHA’s Frequently Cited OSHA Standards page for additional information. For Poultry Processing, use NAICS code 311615 in the NAICS search box.
Directives and Enforcement Policies
- Inspection Guidance for Poultry Slaughtering and Poultry Processing Establishments. OSHA Memorandum, (2015, October 28).
- Ergonomic Hazard Alert Letter Follow-up Policy. OSHA Directive CPL 02-00-144, (2007, April 11).
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Interpretation of the Personal Protective Equipment standard. (1995, July 3).
- Sharp knives and utensils in the workplace. (1991, December 10).
- Machine Guarding
- Compliance policy on unguarded rotary knives used in poultry processing industries. (1992, November 19).
- Search all available standard interpretations.
Other Related Standards
There are many OSHA standards that relate to the poultry industry, including:
|5A1||OSH Act General Duty (Ergonomics).|
|1904.7||General recording criteria.|
|1904.33||Recordkeeping Requirements-Retention and updating.|
|1910.22||General requirements-Walking and Working Surfaces.|
|1910.27||Scaffolds and rope descent systems.|
|1910.28||Duty to have fall protection and falling object protection.|
|1910.37||Exit routes (Egress).|
|1910.119||Process safety management of highly hazardous chemicals.|
|1910.132||General requirements for PPE.|
|1910.133||Eye and face protection.|
|1910.141||Sanitation (Toilet Facilities).|
|1910.147||The control of hazardous energy (lockout/tagout).|
|1910.151||Medical services and first aid.|
|1910.178||Powered industrial trucks.|
|1910.212||General requirements for all machines.|
|1910.215||Abrasive wheel machinery.|
|1910.219||Mechanical power-transmission apparatus.|
|1910.305||Wiring methods, components, and equipment for general use.|