Process Safety Management
Unexpected releases of toxic, reactive, or flammable liquids and gases in processes involving highly hazardous chemicals have been reported for many years, in various industries using chemicals with such properties. Regardless of the industry that uses these highly hazardous chemicals, there is a potential for an accidental release any time they are not properly controlled, creating the possibility of disaster.
To help ensure safe and healthful workplaces, OSHA has issued the Process Safety Management of Highly Hazardous Chemicals standard (29 CFR 1910.119), which contains requirements for the management of hazards associated with processes using highly hazardous chemicals.
Process safety management (PSM) is addressed in specific standards for the general and construction industries. OSHA's standard emphasizes the management of hazards associated with highly hazardous chemicals and establishes a comprehensive management program that integrates technologies, procedures, and management practices.
Process safety management (PSM) is addressed in specific standards for general industry and construction.
Evaluation and Control
Provides references that may aid in evaluating and controlling process hazards in the workplace.
- Process Safety Management for Petroleum Refineries. OSHA Publication 3918, (2017).
- Process Safety Management for Explosives and Pyrotechnics Manufacturing. OSHA Publication 3912, (2017).
- Process Safety Management for Small Businesses. OSHA Publication 3908, (2017).
- Process Safety Management for Storage Facilities. OSHA Publication 3909, (2017).
- PSM Covered Chemical Facilities National Emphasis Program. OSHA Directive CPL 03-00-021, (January 17, 2017).
- Process Safety Management - Small Business Advocacy Review Panel. OSHA is initiating a Small Business Advocacy Review Panel in order to get feedback on several potential revisions to OSHA's Process Safety Management Program (PSM) standard.
- Petroleum Refinery Process Safety Management National Emphasis Program. OSHA Directive CPL 03-00-010, (August 18, 2009).
- Refinery NEP First Year Inspection Results. OSHA.
- Process Safety Management Depends on You!. OSHA Publication 3315, (2009).