- Exposure Control Priority
- Regulation and Additional Documents
CFR 1910 Subpart I, Personal protective equipment. OSHA Standard.
- Appendix A,
Fit testing procedures (Mandatory)
- Appendix B-1,
User seal check procedures (Mandatory)
- Appendix B-2,
Respirator cleaning procedures (Mandatory)
- Appendix C,
OSHA respirator medical evaluation questionnaire (Mandatory)
- Appendix D,
(Mandatory) Information for employees using respirators when not
required under the standard
- Respiratory Protection Program Guidelines. OSHA Directive CPL
02-02-054 [CPL 2-2.54A], (2000, July 14). Sets forth guidelines for
establishing and implementing an OSHA respirator program to ensure that
all OSHA employees are protected from exposure to respiratory hazards.
- Inspection Procedures for the Respiratory Protection Standard. OSHA Directive CPL 02-00-158, (2014, June 26). Establishes agency interpretations and enforcement policies, and provides instructions to ensure uniform enforcement of the Respiratory Protection Standard, (29 CFR 1910.134).
- 29 CFR 1910.134(e)(5)-- Respirator Fit-Testing. OSHA Directive CPL
02-02-29 [CPL 2-2.29], (1980, October 27). Provides guidance regarding
enforcement policy for the respirator fit-testing requirement under 29 CFR 1910.134(e)(5).
- Major Requirements of OSHA's Respiratory
Protection Standard 29 CFR 1910.134. OSHA,
(2006, December). Discusses the major requirements of OSHA's respiratory protection
- Respiratory Protection: Frequently Asked Questions.
OSHA, (2004, November). Contains frequently asked questions and answers concerning respirators.
- Small Entity Compliance Guide for the Respiratory Protection Standard [5 MB PDF*, 124 pages]. OSHA Publication 3384-09, (2011). Provides small entities with a comprehensive step-by-step guide complete with checklists and commonly asked questions that will aid both employees and employers in small businesses with a better understanding of OSHA's respiratory protection standard.
- Questions and Answers on the Respiratory
Protection Standard [242 KB PDF*, 82 pages]. (1998, August 3). Provides questions and answers relating to each
paragraph of the Respiratory Protection Standard. A Spanish translation of
the Medical Questionnaire (Appendix C) is included at the end of the
- Protect Yourself --- Respirators. OSHA Quick Card 3280-10N-05, (2005).
Also available as a 30 KB PDF, 1 page.
- Respiratory Protection. OSHA Publication
3079, (2002). Also available as a 279 KB PDF,
42 pages. Provides a generic, non-exhaustive overview of a particular standards related topic.
- Respirators. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
Safety and Health Topic and the National Personal Protective Technology Library (NPPTL).
Provides a list of links to topics pertaining to respirators.
- A Guide to Industrial Respiratory Protection. US Department of
Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational
Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 87-116, (1987, September). Covers types of respirators, guidance for selection
and use, and user notices.
- NIOSH Guide to the Selection and Use of Particulate Respirators
Certified Under 42 CFR 84. US Department of Health and Human
Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
(NIOSH), Publication No. 96-101, (1996, January). Explains the federal
regulation for certifying air-purifying particulate respirators [42 CFR
Part 84] and provides valuable information for selecting and using
respirators certified by NIOSH.
- NIOSH Respirator User Notices.
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Provides user notices (a written notice
provided to inform users of a condition or risk that may exist with a NIOSH-certified product).
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA
Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at 202-693-2300 for
assistance accessing PDF materials.
*These files are provided for downloading.