Regulations and Additional Documents
CFR 1910 Subpart I, Personal protective equipment. OSHA Standard.
- 1910.134, Respiratory protection
- Appendix A, Fit testing procedures (Mandatory)
- Appendix B-1, User seal check procedures (Mandatory)
- Appendix B-2, Respirator cleaning procedures (Mandatory)
- Appendix C, OSHA respirator medical evaluation questionnaire (Mandatory)
- Appendix D, (Mandatory) Information for employees using respirators when not required under the standard
- Respiratory Protection Program Guidelines. OSHA Directive CPL 02-02-054 [CPL 2-2.54A], (2000, July 14). Sets forth guidelines for establishing and implementing an OSHA respirator program to ensure that all OSHA employees are protected from exposure to respiratory hazards.
- Inspection procedures for the Respiratory Protection Standard. OSHA Directive CPL 02-00-120 [CPL 2-0.120], (1998, September 25). Establishes agency interpretations and enforcement policies, and provides instructions to ensure uniform enforcement of the Respiratory Protection Standard (29 CFR 1910.134).
- 29 CFR 1910.134(e)(5)-- Respirator Fit-Testing. OSHA Directive CPL 02-02-29 [CPL 2-2.29], (1980, October 27). Provides guidance regarding enforcement policy for the respirator fit-testing requirement under 29 CFR 1910.134(e)(5).
- Major Requirements of OSHA's Respiratory Protection Standard 29 CFR 1910.134. OSHA, (2006, December). Discusses the major requirements of OSHA's respiratory protection standard.
- Respiratory Protection: Frequently Asked Questions. OSHA, (2004, November). Contains frequently asked questions and answers concerning respirators.
- Small Entity Compliance Guide for the Respiratory Protection Standard [6 MB PDF*, 124 pages]. OSHA Publication 3384-09, (2011). Provides small entities with a comprehensive step-by-step guide complete with checklists and commonly asked questions that will aid both employees and employers in small businesses with a better understanding of OSHA's respiratory protection standard.
- Questions and Answers on the Respiratory Protection Standard [337 KB PDF*, 82 pages]. (1998, August 3). Provides questions and answers relating to each paragraph of the Respiratory Protection Standard. A Spanish translation of the Medical Questionnaire (Appendix C) is included at the end of the document.
- Protect Yourself - Respirators. OSHA Quick Card 3280-10N-05, (2005). Also available as a 30 KB PDF, 1 page.
- Respiratory Protection. OSHA Publication
3079, (2002). Also available as a 273 KB PDF, 42 pages. Provides a generic, non-exhaustive overview of a particular standards related topic.
- Respirators. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Workplace Safety & Health Topic and the National Personal Protective Technology Library (NPPTL). Provides a list of links to topics pertaining to respirators.
- A Guide to Industrial Respiratory Protection. US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 87-116, (1987, September). Covers types of respirators, guidance for selection and use, and user notices.
- NIOSH Guide to the Selection and Use of Particulate Respirators Certified Under 42 CFR 84. US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Publication No. 96-101, (1996, January). Explains the federal regulation for certifying air-purifying particulate respirators [42 CFR Part 84] and provides valuable information for selecting and using respirators certified by NIOSH.
- NPPTL Respirator User Notices. The National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Provides user notices (a written notice provided to inform users of a condition or risk that may exist with a NIOSH-certified product).
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at 202-693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
*These files are provided for downloading.