OSHA Training and Compliance Assistance
Power Point Presentations
- Machinery and Machine Guarding Standards Course Objectives [8 MB PPT*, 199 slides]. OSHA.
- General Machine Guarding Scenarios Workshop [5 MB PPT*, 16 slides]. US Department of Labor (DOL).
- Woodworking Machines [10 MB PPT*, 59 slides]. OSHA.
- Woodworking Machines 1910.213 Workshop [7 MB PPT*, 41 slides]. OSHA.
- Machines (various images) [1 MB PPT*, 53 slides]. OSHA.
- Machinery Identification Workshop [589 KB PPT*, 12 slides]. OSHA.
- Machine Guarding Compliance Workshop [9 MB PPT*, 37 slides]. OSHA.
- Mechanical Power Press [6 MB PPT*, 150 slides]. OSHA.
- Part 1910 Subpart O - Machinery and Machine Guarding [10 MB PPT*, 117 slides]. OSHA.
- Portable Tools [2 MB PPT*, 32 slides]. OSHA.
- Lockout/Tagout [3 MB PPT*, 66 slides]. OSHA.
Compliance Assistance Forms and Checklists
Appendices of Machine Guarding eTool - Presses Module
Appendix A, Mandatory requirements for certification/validation of safety systems for presence sensing device initiation of mechanical power presses
- Appendix B, Nonmandatory guidelines for certification/validation of safety systems for presence sensing device initiation of mechanical power presses
Appendix C, Mandatory requirements
for OSHA recognition of third-party validation organizations for the
Appendix D, Nonmandatory
- Appendix E, Form provides compliance assistance information to
interested parties required to comply with regulations for mechanical power presses.
- Appendix F, Sample
pullout/restraint inspection checklist.
- Appendix G, Sample employer self-inspection checklist for
safeguards and other hazards.
- Appendix H, Sample point-of-operation injury report on mechanical
- Appendix I,
Mechanical power press questions and answers
National Safety Council's Safety Manuals and Data Sheets
A good reference for safety on machine tools is the National Safety Council’s Safety Manuals and Data
Sheets. These manuals and data sheets are written by various committees including the Power Press, Forging and Fabricating Executive Committee. The following publications are available:
Safeguarding Concept Illustrations - 6th Edition DATA
Bench and Pedestal Grinding Wheel Operations 12304-0705
Boring Mills, Horizontal Metal 12304-0269
Boring Mills, Vertical 12304-0347
Drill Presses, Metalworking12304-0335
Drills, Portable Reamer 12304-0497
Lathes, Engine 12304-0264
Milling Machines, Metalworking 12304-0364
Saws, Metal (Cold Working) 12304-0584
These manuals and data sheets can be purchased by contacting:
National Safety Council
1121 Spring Lake Drive
Itasca, IL 60143-3201
NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery NEC (National Electrical Code) Handbook
National Fire Protection Association
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169-7471
NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association)
1300 North 17th Street, Suite 1752
Rosslyn, VA 22209
For additional safety information and assistance in
devising, implementing or revising your safety program, please contact the
machine manufacturer, your state and local safety councils, insurance
carriers, national trade associations, and your state’s occupational safety
and health administration.
- Safeguarding board-edge processing machinery. Health & Safety Executive. Identifies hazards in operations for edging particleboard and fibreboard, and suggests machine guarding, interlocks and routine
maintenance as control measures.
- OSH Answers: Safety Hazards. Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS). Information on safety hazards in the OSH Answers site will apply mostly to the physical conditions of the workplace or the way equipment and machinery are used. Safety hazards in this section will deal with machine guarding, and mechanical power transmission systems.
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at
202-693-2310 for assistance accessing PPT materials.
*These files are provided for downloading.