Cranes & Derricks in Construction
Moving large, heavy loads is crucial to today's manufacturing and construction industries. Much technology has been developed for these operations, including careful training and extensive workplace precautions. There are significant safety issues to be considered, both for the operators of the diverse "lifting" devices, and for workers in proximity to them. This page is a starting point for finding information about these devices and their operation.
Note: Crane and derrick safety hazards are addressed in specific standards for the general, maritime, and construction industries.
Federal Register Notices
Provides ferderal register notices for cranes and derricks in construction.
Provides fact sheets and directives for cranes and derricks in construction.
- U.S. Department of Labor Issues Final Rule on Cranes and Derricks Used in Railroad Roadway Work
- Temporary Enforcement Policy - Certification Issued by Crane Institute Certification. OSHA Memo (November 25, 2019)
- Enforcement Policy - Crane Operator Certification Requirements. OSHA Memo, (November 05, 2018)
- 29 CFR Part 1926 Cranes and Derricks in Construction; Final Rule (August 9, 2010).
- U.S. Department of Labor Seeks Comments on Proposal Regarding Railroad Construction Equipment in Cranes and Derricks Construction Standard. OSHA Trade Release (July 18, 2018).
- OSHA Proposes Rule to Ensure Crane Operators Are Qualified To Safely Operate Equipment. OSHA Trade Release (May 18, 2018).
- Crane Operator Certification Extension - Final Rule. OSHA delayed the enforcement date for crane operator certification by one year until November 10, 2018. Federal Register (November 9, 2017).
- Monorail Hoists Enforcement Policies. OSHA Memo, (June 30, 2017)
- Supporting documents for ACCSH meeting on operator qualification (March 31-April 1, 2015):
- OSHA provides direction for inspecting cranes and derricks on construction worksites. OSHA News Release, (October 23, 2014).
- OSHA extends compliance date for crane operator certification requirements. OSHA News Release, (September 25, 2014).
- OSHA extends Temporary Enforcement Policy for Proximity Alarm and Insulating Link Use with Cranes and Derricks in Construction until further notice.
- Memo to Regional Administrators. OSHA Memorandum, (March 31, 2014).
- U.S. Labor Department and Federal Communications Commission announce working group to prevent fatalities in telecommunications industry. OSHA News Release, (October 14, 2014).
- OSHA issues new directive to keep communication tower workers safe. OSHA News Release, (July 24, 2014).
- Recent fatalities serve as a reminder to protect workers from demolition hazards. OSHA News Release, (July 10, 2014).
- Electrical Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution Standard Sub Part V. OSHA Federal Register, (April 11, 2014).
- Construction Industry Digest. OSHA Publication 2202-09R, (2014).
- Crane, Derrick, and Hoist Safety. OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page.