Crane, Derrick and Hoist Safety
Visit the Cranes & Derricks in Construction Page for information specific to construction.
Moving large, heavy loads is crucial to today's manufacturing and construction industries. Much technology has been developed for these operations, including careful training and extensive workplace precautions. There are significant safety issues to be considered, both for the operators of the diverse "lifting" devices, and for workers in proximity to them. This page is a starting point for finding information about these devices, including elevators and conveyors, and their operation.
Crane, derrick, and hoist safety hazards are addressed in specific OSHA standards for general industry, maritime, gear certification, and construction.
Hazards and Solutions
Provides references that may aid in recognizing and evaluating hazards in the workplace.
- OSHA Issues Final Rule Setting Compliance Date for Crane Operator Certification Requirements. OSHA News Release, (November 9, 2017). OSHA issued a final rule setting November 10, 2018, as the date for employers in the construction industries to comply with a requirement for crane operator certification.
- Compliance Directive for the Cranes and Derricks in Construction Standard OSHA Directive CPL 02-01-057, (October 17, 2014).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Operator Certification. OSHA Final Rule 79: 57785-57798, (September 26, 2014).
- OSHA extends compliance date for crane operator certification requirements. OSHA News Release, (September 25, 2014).
- OSHA issues final rule to broaden exemption for digger derricks in its Cranes and Derricks standard. OSHA News Release, (May 28, 2013).
- OSHA issues final rule to protect workers using cranes and derricks in demolition and underground construction. OSHA News Release, (April 23, 2013).
- Small Entity Compliance Guide for the Final Rule for Cranes and Derricks in Construction. OSHA Publication 3433-05, (2011).
- Subpart CC – Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Qualified Rigger. OSHA Fact Sheet, (October 2010).
- Subpart CC – Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Signal Person Qualification. OSHA Fact Sheet, (October 2010).
- U.S. Department of Labor's OSHA publishes final rule on cranes and derricks in construction. OSHA News Release, (July 28, 2010)
- Federal Register. The Office of the Federal Register published the final rule on August 9, 2010. Effective date is Nov. 8, 2010.