Through the OSHA and NMSA Alliance, the organizations will work together to provide the association's members and others in the marine cargo handling industry with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety. The Alliance will particularly focus on intermodal container lashing issues and marine terminal traffic safety. The Alliance's goals include:
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's and NMSA's conferences and events such as NMSA's Annual and Technical Committee meetings.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding NMSA best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by NMSA and through OSHA-or NMSA developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Promote and encourage NMSA's participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, and the On-site Consultation Program and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.