- Safety and Health Topics
- Oil and Gas Extraction
Oil and Gas Extraction
- Ergonomics and Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Fall Injuries Prevention in the Workplace
- Fatalities in the Oil and Gas Extraction Industry (FOG)
- Field Effort to Assess Chemical Exposure Risks to Gas and Oil Workers
- Hydrogen Sulfide
- Machine Safety
- Motor Vehicle Safety
- Noise and Hearing Loss Prevention
- Oil and Gas Extraction
- Skin Exposures and Effects
- Traumatic Occupational Injuries
- Work Schedules: Shift Work and Long Hours
- Rig Check. Developed by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in partnership with safety experts from the oil and gas extraction industry. It is made up of 35 inspection forms. The forms are designed to be used by rig workers to document the inspection of tools and equipment commonly found on rotary and workover rigs.
- Oil and Gas Industry: Recognizing and Controlling Health and Safety Hazards. OSHA Susan Harwood grantee produced training materials, 8 hrs., (2009).
- Oil and Gas Industry: Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Oil and Gas Industry. OSHA Susan Harwood grantee produced training materials, (2006).
Industry Associations and Networks
Numerous publications, recommended practices, and guidelines that specifically address safe work practices have been developed by the American Petroleum Institute (API), Association of Energy Service Companies (AESC), International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC), and the National Service, Transmission, Exploration & Production Safety (STEPS) Network. See the following links for further information.
American Petroleum Institute (API)
API develops standards that identify and support proven engineering and operating practices, and safe, interchangeable equipment and materials, for use in the petroleum industry. API is an accredited standards Developing Organization that meets the due process requirements of the American National Standards Institute.
Association of Energy Service Companies (AESC)
AESC is an international association that represents the energy-service segment of the oil and gas industry. It offers publications regarding industry practices.
International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC)
The IADC is a trade association that represents the interests of members of the drilling segment of the oil and gas industry. It offers publications regarding industry practices and training materials.
National Service, Transmission, Exploration & Production Safety (STEPS) Network
The national STEPS Network is an organization composed of operators and contractors in the oil and gas exploration, production, and product transmission industries that are in an alliance with OSHA, industry trade associations, and educators. It offers products in response to safety and health initiatives it identifies in the industry.