Plug and Abandon Well >>
|A well is abandoned when it reaches the end of its useful life or is a
- The casing and other equipment is removed and salvaged.
- Cement plugs are placed in the borehole to prevent migration of fluids between the different formations.
- The surface is reclaimed.
- Removing Casing
- Place Cement
Fig. 1. A plugged and abandoned well site
The rig is used to remove the
casing and plug the well. The wellhead is removed.
After the casing is cut off, it is removed.
Fig. 2. Wellhead
- Being struck by rig equipment (such as casing jacks, power tongs, and casing
- Being exposed to other hazards similar to those encountered
during regular drilling or workover operations.
Cement plugs are placed in the borehole to prevent migration of fluids between the different formations. This also prevents the migration of gas or fluids to the surface.
- Being struck by pressured lines when pumping cement.
- Instruct personnel to stand clear of pressurized lines.
- Bulletin E3, Well Abandonment and Inactive Well Practices for U.S. Exploration and Production Operations.
concerns related to
production and water
the document include
surface soils and
future and use, and
abandoned wellbore locations