Through the Alliance OSHA and SDMS will work together to provide the organization's members and others in the medical community with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to work-related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs). The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop and promote training and education programs on work-related MSD issues for the medical ultrasound community. (e.g.: employees, employers, educators, medical facilities, and equipment manufacturers)
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
- Promote and encourage SDMS members or their worksites' participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation, and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects on MSD and ergonomics that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on MSD and ergonomic issues related to sonography to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace.