The NHCA Alliance focuses on helping to prevent noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) from exposure to industrial noise and other environmental factors for all workers. OSHA and NHCA will use their expertise to help advance a culture of good hearing health by developing and implementing Hearing Conservation Programs (HCPs) and Hearing Loss Prevention Programs (HLPPs) while sharing best practices and technical knowledge. The goals of the Alliance include:
Training and education:
- Develop training courses on noise and hearing loss prevention, including a "Train the Trainer Course" for toolbox talks and a program for vocational school populations.
Outreach and communication:
- Create and update electronic assistance tools for OSHA's web page that address noise and hearing conservation for general industry, construction and maritime.
- Design model HCP/HLPPs for the construction and maritime industries.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects for preventing NIHL that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Convene or participate in forums, conferences and roundtable discussions on HCP/HLPPs to help forge innovative ways to prevent hearing loss in the workplace.
- Develop and disseminate information at conferences and events, or through print and electronic media, including links from OSHA's and NHCA's web sites.