- Safety and Health Topics
- Powered Industrial Trucks - Forklifts
Powered Industrial Trucks - Forklifts
Occupational health and safety information that applies to specific activities related to powered industrial trucks is also available, including: Loading and Unloading, Working with Hazardous Materials, and Vehicle Maintenance.
- Powered Industrial Trucks. OSHA. Includes downloadable outreach training materials for the powered industrial truck operator training standard.
- National Agriculture (Ag) Safety Database
- Forklift Safety Guide. Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. Provides resources and regulations for truck operator safety.
- Fact Sheet No. 2: Preventing Injury Related to Powered Industrial Trucks with Effective Training. OSHA and the NSC Alliance, (August 2011). The Alliance participants developed a fact sheet addressing effective training of powered industrial truck operators, including tips on what employers can do to help protect workers.
- Training Requirements. U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. Defines a HAZMAT employee as someone who works for a HAZMAT employer and directly affects HAZMAT transportation safety, including:
An owner-operator of a motor vehicle that transports HAZMAT; a person (including a self-employed person) who:
- Loads, unloads, or handles HAZMAT;
- Tests, reconditions, repairs, modifies, marks, or otherwise represents packagings as qualified for use in the transportation of HAZMAT;
- Prepares HAZMAT for transportation;
- Is responsible for safety of transporting HAZMAT; or
- Operates a vehicle used to transport HAZMAT.
HAZMAT employer means a company with employees involved in:
- Transporting HAZMAT in commerce;
- Causing HAZMAT to be transported or shipped in commerce; or
- Representing, marking, certifying, selling, offering, reconditioning, testing, repairing, or modifying packagings as qualified for HAZMAT transportation.
(The term "HAZMAT employer" also includes any department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States, a State, a political subdivision of a State, or an Indian tribe engaged in offering or transporting HAZMAT in commerce.)
Note: To find additional material, perform a search using the keywords "forklift safety" or "forklift training" with any search engine to find private companies that provide forklift safety training services, including videos, written programs, operation training, and more.
- Industrial Truck Association (ITA)
- Saddle Creek Corporation Provides Forklift and Golf Cart Drivers with Eye Protection. OSHA Success Story. Discusses Saddle Creek Corporation's (a warehouse and logistics company) implementation of a formal eye-protection program for its forklift and golf cart operators.
OSHA Cooperative Programs
OSHA cooperative programs support agency outreach and assistance efforts. OSHA's consultation projects, partners, and allies serve as ambassadors for OSHA, disseminating information and best practices. OSHA cooperative programs include:
- Alliance Program
- Find a Cooperative Program
- Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP). Identifies a select group of facilities that have designed and implemented outstanding health and safety programs. Star participants meet all VPP requirements. Merit participants have demonstrated the potential and willingness to achieve Star program status, and are implementing planned steps to fully meet all Star requirements.