- All ladders used to support ladder jack scaffolds must comply with 1926 Subpart X - Stairways
and Ladders. [1926.452(k)(2)]
- Exception: Job-made ladders must not be used to support ladder jack scaffolds.
- Ladder jacks must be designed and constructed to bear on:
- The side rails and ladder rungs, or
- The ladder rungs alone.
- If ladder jacks bear on the ladder rungs alone, the bearing area must include a length
of at least 10 inches on each rung. [1926.452(k)(3)]
- Ladders used to support ladder jack scaffolds must be:
- Placed to prevent slipping,
- Fastened to prevent slipping, or
- Equipped with devices to prevent slipping. [1926.452(k)(4)]